Toy Story 3 vs. Monsters University

5 comments

0 comments

I absolutely love Monsters University, but Toy Story 3 is my favorite Pixar film.

Sequel that succeeds in every single way vs. disappointing sequel. Here's why Toy Story didn't suck: It felt like the first two. Monsters U had none of the style, humor, creativity, emotion and clever screenwriting of the original. It felt like a story told by completely different people, without any connection to Inc. at all. Toy Story 3 took all the emotional investment we all had from the first two, and took us through a rollercoaster ride many of us will never forget.

Toy Story 3 is Pixar's best. MU was good, but this is no contest.

TheHonestFilmFan is right that MONSTERS UNIVERSITY bears little resemblance to MONSTERS, INC. That's how it came to be I wound up liking it, whereas I never did care for the original. Doesn't matter, though; TOY STORY 3 gets the nod easily.

I disagree that TS3 succeeds in every way. It feels emotionally manipulative, as well as like it doesn't have the same feel as the other (now) three movies. MU, meanwhile, feels like a tropey frat-house movie with a slightly monster-ish paint job, plus shades of Pixar's other, better work (the scene with Mike and Sully at the water felt like the scene with Woody and Buzz in Sid's room all over again). Both were disappointments in their own right, at least for me. I expected TS3 to become my new favorite Pixar movie, and possibly my new favorite movie overall, yet it fell way short of those expectations. (TS4, on the other hand, seems to be more in line with those expectations, and I expected next to nothing from that one) MU felt needless, turned out to be needless, and wound up being my least favorite Pixar movie to date, even if I still found some enjoyment in it and can say I liked it (sort of). In the battle of the disappointing sequels/prequels, TS3 wins.

TS3 crushes here....

Toy Story 3 by a longshot

Definitely toy story 3 a very good and emotional movie also my top 10 favorite Pixar films