Thunderball vs. The Man with the Golden Gun

2 comments

3 comments

The problem with "Thunderball" is that it's bloated. The emphasis was on one-upping "Goldfinger," which didn't necessarily make for a better movie. "Golden Gun" is certainly flawed, but it's always been a guilty pleasure of mine. I can't help it; i like Christopher Lee, Herve Villachaize, the bizarre kung fu fight scene inserted gratuituously, and yes, God help me, I even enjoyed the return of Sheriff J.W. Pepper and Lulu's title song.

I totally agree.

The Man with the Golden Gun is TERRIBLE. From a technical standpoint, I think it's probably the worst. Mary Goodnight is crap, the plot device is nonsensical (the solar agi-what?), the plot makes no sense and neither do character's motivations, the henchman is hilarious, the action sucks, even the theme song by Lulu is weird. But...I did enjoy The Man with the Golden Gun...quite a lot, actually. It's a guilty pleasure. I actually enjoyed it more than Live and Let Die, which I found just boring and confusing. Thunderball's forgettable. It's not boring, it's not entertaining...it's meh. Aside from the gorgeous Bondgirls, there's little to get excited about. It's close, but I'm going with TMwtGG. It's a trainwreck, but an enjoyable one. Entertainment over quality, I guess.

Thunderball is one my favorite Bond movies and it wins this.

Thunderball

Thunderball is great until the final act. TMWTGG is bad apart from Christopher Lee. I will take the suspenseful spy thriller Thunderball over the cartoony, poorly acted, nonsensical MWTGG!