The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford vs. No Country for Old Men

3 comments

4 comments

Two of the best films of 2007 (Behind TWBB of course). NCFOM wins.

2007 was a special year in film. My 3 favorite westerns of the 21st century came out in 2007. Jesse James was completely different from 3:10 to Yuma and No Country but equally mesmerizing, equally enchanting. Brad in Jesse James was probably the second best performance as a lead that year behind DDL in Blood. Now....No Country is the kind of film you can watch anytime, but the right frame of mind is required to fully appreciate Jesse James' bleak vision. It's so hard to not get invested in the story. Nick Cave's score is captivating and the haunting images of Jesse's assassination just stay in your head. It's an underrated masterpiece if you ask me. Such a great film and they nominate fucking Juno over it and Zodiac? The Academy makes me sick. I guess I'll go with No Country...but the photography in TAoJJbtCRF was more impressive.

Chigurth. End of story...

I adore both of these films so much and they are overall near-perfection in my opinion. Roger Deakins' cinematography makes them visually beautiful and it sets a deeply compelling, flawless atmosphere (Academy, seriously how the fuck has he never won Best Cinematography? I mean, his photography is just so damn majestic and stunning). Their stories too had me captivated the whole time and every aspect is masterful and rich. No Country for Old Men wins this by a small margin.

Jesse James for me.

I know a lot of people might find it weird, but I think Jesse James is simply a better movie.

Only There Will Be Blood (my number 4) and Zodiac top these 2 for my favorite of '07. NCfOM wins for me.