GoodFellas vs. Die Hard

13 comments

12 comments

Wow, tough call, both classics in their respective genres however Scorsese is tops.

I go with Scorsese in this matchup.

Yippee-ki-yay-motherf@#%er.

I love GoodFellas but i'm going with Die Hard here

I love both of thesis movies for completely different reasons, but I think I could watch Die Hard more then I could watch GoodFellas.

Die Hard is one of those movies where judging it by objectivity fails completely for me. Goodfellas might be better, but I'm definitely voting for Die Hard.

Die Hard is a very good movie, But GoodFellas is alot better.

Umm...the one with all the music.

Goodfellas all the way.

A meh action film vs. an excellent film-film, not much waffle factor here.

I dunno what a "film-film" is, but I hesitantly give the win to the guy that climbs down elevator shafts.

"...I dunno what a 'film-film' is..." It's just a way of admitting I can't buy into the idea of total subjectivity, in the "who's to say Justin Bieber is worse than Mozart?" sort of way. I've got a love-hate relationship with the distinction between art & entertainment (they often blur together, I won't deny that).

(I wish I thought of a better example than bieber, that's such a youtube comment-level reference, but eh)

Fair enough. Once you dismantle a movie and look at its individual parts I believe one can be objective about certain things. There can be a gauge for things like talent and skill and technique. Sure we can definitively say that Mozart had an ability that very few have ever matched, just as we can say that my anus has a similar level of musical ability as Justin Bieber. But I'm conceited and conflicted enough to think that movie-makers should make movies for themselves, but that movies are made only for me. And I just want to be entertained as I move 90 mins closer to death. I might be able to look at the acting or lighting in some film and say "Yeah, skilful", but if the film as a whole bores me then it's just a waste of skill. The only thing that matters is that I'm entertained. If someone is entertained more by Bieber than Wolfgang, it's all good. Might not be the type of person I'd wanna hang with (until three years pass and said person becomes old enough to legally violate), but it's all good.

Say, UncleFok, are you a pregnant lesbian?

Die hard wins this one easily

I recently rewatched Goodfellas and I was bored, unlike Die Hard which was a GREAT movie and entertained me the whole way through. Even if Goodfellas is the better film, Die Hard for me.

I'm going with the Fellas.

Yippe-kay-yay you muddafucker you. Goodfellas.

GoodFellas is probably the better film, but there is something in me that makes me prefer action movies. So I give the nod to Die Hard.

Don't give two shits about Die Hard believe it or not, going with GoodFellas.

Die Hard

I prefer Die Hard.

Having to choose one of these classics hurts a man right in his private parts. Two of the great dude flicks ever made.

Neither are works of art but they're still great! Die Hard being one of my favourite action movies!

Goodfellas pretty easily for me...

The acting in Goodfellas might be the best from a whole cast in any movie. Die Hard is fun but Goodfellas is a masterpiece on another level.