Pride & Prejudice vs. Atonement

2 comments

2 comments

on 9/6/2009

Ah-ha, no wonder these two seem so similar, both are Joe Wright directed. He did a considerably better job with the material in Atonement, but both are fantastic films in their own right.

on 11/21/2009

As a fan of the book, Wright's P&P annoyed me with all its modern touches and innuendos, but while Atonement was probably technically a better film, it was even more distasteful due to the source material. I don't like either, but I choose P

on 1/6/2013

Pride and Prejudice, simple as that.

on 1/6/2013

I'll watch either film because I love Keira Knightley, but as a big fan of the 1995 version, the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice I found to be inferior and disappointing. There are a few touches which seem more accurate, like casting actresses closer in age to the characters, and the earthiness of the family's property. On the other hand, I really don't like the story of Atonement that much, I don't like the ending. I'd say Atonement is somewhat more watchable, but Keira is more winsome in P+P, so it's still a split for me.

on 11/26/2018

Sorry, but anything with Mr. Darcy is a win, although I admit Atonement in technique is better than Pride and Prejudice.