All That Heaven Allows vs. The Notorious Bettie Page

1 comments

0 comments

We got two movies where a woman has to deal with being judged by stuffy people. The Notorious Bettie Page is set in the 50s, when society was a bit more conservative in its views toward sexuality. Gretchen Mol plays the pin-up model Bettie Page, who is portrayed as a person who innocently believes that being photographed with no clothes on is just another way to bring some happiness to the world. Unfortunately, polite society does not view her profession as innocent or beneficial. In All That Heaven Allows, a wealthy widow played by Jane Wyman falls for a humble tree grower played by Rock Hudson. Her snooty social circle hands her a bunch of crap, and her kids behave insensitively. I suppose Jane Wyman's situation is easier to sympathize with for most people, because being a bondage model will never be entirely respectable. The Notorious Bettie Page is entertaining, but it doesn't run the gamut of emotions anywhere near as enjoyably as All That Heaven Allows. I laugh at it a lot, but it's also kind of touching. I guess it's what I'd like all movies to be to some extent.