Us vs. Get Out

2 comments

2 comments

on 4/16/2019

I’ve seen Get Out 3 times and I still don’t like it. It’s a tonal mess, the satire is weak (white people pretend to think that black people are great but are really brainwashing on them so they deserve to die? What am I supposed to learn from this) and the third act is too violent for the psychological effect it was originally going for. Also, Chris getting his suspicions that the place is mess up from this phone being unplugged is one of the stupidest bits of writing I’ve ever seen. Us is far better. Sure, it’s flawed and aspects don’t make a lot of sense but the themes are better, I connected more with the characters, I loved the foreshadowing and, as someone who normally doesn’t get scared during movies, parts of Us terrified me!

ear
ear

on 4/24/2019

Get Out was a black man's nightmare in white supremacy hell. It was daring, provocative and humorous to dull the edge of its disturbing premise. It was a horror film with a message. Us also had some issues about our society under its surface story. These are both horror films with a satiric edge and they both deliver plenty of scares. Get Out is slightly favored here but both films are modern horror classics.

on Jun 22

Both were extremely entertaining. I think I enjoyed Us a little more but both were very very good. There is just something a little more trippy about the ending of Us.

Yesterday

Really enjoyed both and need to see them again. It’s hard not to compare them due to the similarities in shooting and narrative style. Peele’s a great storyteller.