Unbreakable vs. Glass

5 comments

1 comments

Ok, my Glass session is just going to be late at night, exactly ten hours from now. That being said, I couldn't resist being the first commenting on this. SORRY FOR BEING SUCH A FANBOY, LOL; I won't comment again because I don't like commenting more than once in a match-up for no reason, but I think I'll still side with Unbreakable by the end of the day. Let me see if this opinion will endure.

(HEAVY SPOILERS are coming, be warned) so I lied to myself. I'm going to comment on this again. Unbreakable is a greater achievement, and it got me really thrilled and I've cared for David and Elijah and yeah, great movie. The ending was pretty ruined because reading. Still loved it. As for Glass, awesome flick. Gosh, it surely was unexpected. If it wasn't before, now it is... as fellow charter PiccoloKing said somewhere... the greatest superhero tragedy. Mostly because everyone dies, I guess. But well, I've warned.

*minor spoilers*. "Six hours ago". Dear God, I'm not religious so we don't talk much but there's this new movie out that I'm seeing today. It's a sequel to two movies I like and stars Bruce Willis and Samuel L Jackson. It's directed by M. Night Shyamalan who I don't particularly like, in fact I only like 3 movies that he's made in a 20 year career, but, if you're real, please make this movie great. "Now" Yep, this is why I'm not religious. So M Night is a director who I've been very vocal in my dislike here on Flickchart. Sixth Sense is great, Unbreakable was pretty good but then everything he did from 2002-2015 was trash. Not just in quality but even in his filmmaking. In Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, he had a particular and signature style with long takes, good use of colour and quirky camera techniques. I hated Signs but only M. Night could've made it, it's weird that way. The Village was the first time he directed a movie that could've been made by anyone and he slowly became the most hated man in Hollywood (in 2010, he made the worst movie I've seen to date). But in recent years, he's bounced back. I didn't necessarily like The Visit but it showed potential and Split made me respect him again so it was hard not to look forward to Glass. Glass starts out fantastic in the first 20 mins. I could've had a whole film of David and his son doing vigilante stuff eventually finding Kevin. Then David did find Kevin and they had a very underwhelming fight which was the first sign of trouble. My main issue is the same issue I have with modern sequels and recent Marvel movies; all the character arcs were completed in other films so come this time around there's hardly anywhere for them to go. So Unbreakable was about David being convinced he's a superhero, Split was a supervillains origins story. The next hour after the first confirmation was slow, expositional dialogue where a very bland psychologist character tried convincing David and Kevin that they weren't superhuman. That's just regression and uninteresting. Everything in two films now going backwards. M. Night here confuses slow building for being uneventful. Oh yeah, Cassie is back again and her acting has improved from Split but the writing hasn't. She's useless in the film. She could've been cut and nothing would've been different. And her sudden change of heart towards Kevin doesn't make any sense. It does pick up a bit in the last act but my general feeling is still very underwhelmed. Split>Unbreakable>Glass.

The ending to Glass flat out sucks. THAT is why the critics are panning it. Glass features a great set up and superb performances. (James McCavoy is absolutely brilliant) The concept of psychologically developing and diving in to the characters from the previous two films was a wonderful choice. I didn’t mind the tedious second act because of the psychological tenants. Then, the third act hits and everything is flushed away. Arguably, the conclusion even craps all over Unbreakable. THAT could be this movie’s greatest sin. You don’t reach back and make re-watching a movie you enjoy a lesser experience. For me, that’s what this movie unfortunately ended up doing. Despite brilliant performances, a great concept and an amazing set-up this is an overall thumbs down for me. Too bad.

ear
ear

Glass is amazing till its underwhelming last act.

I loved Glass. For me, it brings more life to Unbreakable, not detracts from it like so many complain about. As for the final act, it makes total sense.