Suspiria vs. Deep Red

2 comments

0 comments

Gotta give it to Suspiria. After all this is the film that had the soundtrack that was the sample that made the beat that resulted in the rap that had the line: "AOTP we don't make love songs/ We finger fuck bitches with Freddy Krueger gloves on." Not a great song but at least it has a phenomenal track and occasionally looks pretty. Profondo Rosso had a good beat too though.

'Song' bhould be film. Not a great film...

bhould should be should. Fucking gloves.

Both are basically mandatory as far as Italian horror goes, but Suspiria has a lot more to apologize for (the bat scene, the kinda dumb climax, etc.) I like Deep Red a lot because it's one of the very few giallos (gialli?) that feels like it's aimed at horror/splatter fans rather than 13 year olds who are still fascinated by breasts. It's not the psychedelic techno-nightmare that Suspiria is, but it's got a very thick gothic atmosphere.

Two amazing Italian horror films, both from Dario Argento. Both have great suspense, brilliant cinematography and awesome soundtracks. Suspiria is my choice because of its interesting dark fairy tale idea and how it immediately goes for suspense and has the guts not to care that much of the story. Suspiria is a cinematic masterpiece. I gotta see more Argento's films.

Suspiria’s Has both a better formed story arc and more intense chaos. But calling any of Argento’s work a “masterpiece”, at least by today’s standards, is a stretch.