Suspiria vs. Rosemary's Baby

5 comments

1 comments

These movies are both kind of structured the same. You got witches who try to keep the female protagonist drugged up while they do their evil behind the scenes stuff. Eventually, the drugged up women get wise and start investigating. The style is totally different between films, but the plot really isn't. I like Rosemary's Baby, even though the horror aspect is restrained (aside from the one "dream" with Satan). It's a long film, but it doesn't usually feel long. Suspiria is clunkier in the story and acting department, I admit. It's the style-over-substance awesomeness that does it for me.

Am I the only one who mistook Jessica Harper for Karen Allen? They look nothing alike today, but if you look at some pictures of them in the late 70's and early 80's, there is minimal difference between them (at least facially). Anyway, the matchup. Rosemary's Baby is probably the *better* film, but it felt very bland and predictable to me. The opening scene in Suspiria alone had more of an impact on me. It had the soundtrack, the suspense, the creepiness and the camp and I loved every minute of it. When comparing two movies, when one I felt was too long is going against one I wanted more of, I'll always take the latter.

I'm also in the "style over substance" boat here. Personally, I don't think that either of these have bad plots, I mean, they aren't the best, but they certainly aren't the worst either. Out of the two I'd say that "Rosemary" has the greater plot but "Suspiria" provides for the better experience. In terms of horror, experience tops story almost every time and it certainly does that here.

Suspiria.

O man I love Rosemary's Baby but yeah I'm taking Suspiria

Rosemary's Baby...no question. Saw Suspiria for the first time a couple months ago...and yeah...not impressed.

Rosemary's Baby no question..

Rosemary's Baby

Rosemarys baby wasn’t suspenseful for me, just dull really and that ending wasn’t worth waiting for. Suspiria definitely isn’t perfect but I love the soundtrack, the use of red throughout and the overall weirdness. Better by quite a margin.