The Dark Knight vs. The Godfather

39 comments

46 comments

Two great clime classics of two different generations... but The Godfather remains the best, though to imagine a superhero film in serious debate with it is amazing.

The Godfather wins, no question about it.

Incredibly close. Seminal classic film in The Godfather versus the modern day masterpiece in The Dark Knight. In the end, the near perfection of Coppola's masterpiece is a hairs breadth above Nolan's masterwork.

I'm sorry, but ranking Dark Knight over the Godfather is insane. Please reevaluate your cinema priorities.

JRM
JRM

The Dark Knight. :P

I think a lot of people will choose The Godfather because it's "the right thing to do." I myself have more fun with The Dark Knight.

ear
ear

The Dark Knight is more fun but The Godfather has the superior all around acting ensemble,a tighter focused script, a stronger storyline,a better musical score and perfect production values.

i'm picking the Godfather not 'cause it's the 'right thing to do', but, because it's honestly the better movie. ALL the acting is great, the writing is taut, smart and all the dialogue is important. From the opening scene to the memorable final shot, The Godfather has me enthralled.

Not even close (and these two are no.11 and 13 on my list ... I think after 11, it slips down a notch). The Dark Knight is awesome. Who'd have thunk when X-Men came out 10 years ago that we would get so many awesome superhero movies, with The Dark Knight being the icing on the cake so far. The acting is great, the story is very good (muddled towards the end, but still very good), the effects, etc etc are very good. But let's be honest ... it's not The Godfather. The Godfather is a better movie ... it is completely whole. I find these movies eerily similar in the fact we start with our hero who is pretty noble at the beginning and by the end of the film has transformed into what could be called a morally gray "hero".

i didn't like The Godfather, so what, so The Dark Knight gets my vote

While I cannot rightfully choose a side here, let me just point out that if The Godfather is in fact the right choice then why is the Dark Knight #1 on this site?

Fiction_Fox, are you suggesting that whatever the majority chooses is alway correct? You really need to consider what sort of moviegoers make up the dominant demographic of Flickchart users. (Oh, and I pick The Godfather.)

Just saw The Godfather for the first time. I don't understand the fuss. I thought it was good, but I thoroughly enjoyed The Dark Knight more.

JRM
JRM

I think if I saw The Godfather in 1972 (wasn't even born then), I may choose it over The Dark Knight, but I just saw it early this year, and while I wanted to join the 'in crowd' and absolutely love it like many seem to, I couldn't do it. I think it's technically a great movie (great script, acting, directing, etc.), but I wasn't BLOWN AWAY and ready to call it the all time greatest movie. So, forgive me if this is an easy choice for me.

I'm choosing the Godfather here I enjoyed it a lot more than the Dark Knight

I love "The Dark Knight"--it is an amazing cinematic achievement, but it is far from perfect. "The Godfather" is the better film. I agree with the first comment though--"The Dark Knight" is a great crime movie that rivals most "truer" crime movies. That is one of the great things Nolan did with his Batman movies--he made them urban crime movies with a developed underworld.

Dating the hottest girl in the school is a proud achievement. Ravishing Miss World is somethin' else...

The Godfather is hundred times better than the most over-rated movie on this site.

The Dark Knight does nothing for me. The Godfather- hands down.

"The Godfather", no doubt about that!

join me in bringing the godfather to number one in flickchart's all time greatest movies!!!

Godfather wins here. As great as The Dark Knight is, it just doesn't compete here. That says something about the Godfather.

Like I've said a million times to many people: Heath Ledger = the ONLY good thing about The Dark Knight. It's definintely The Godfather. There are many good things about that film. If you've seen the movie I shouldn't have to name them.

The Godfather is a definite overrated film. I don't see what the big hype is over it, yes I do enjoy it quite a bit but nothing will top my first experience of The Dark Knight, except maybe The Dark Knight Rises but that is sometime in the future. TDK wins by a landslide.

Someone forgive me for my previous comment. The Godfather.

Not even close. The Godfather, obviously. TDK is in my opinion one of Nolan's worst efforts. Of course in Nolan terms that translates to one of his "least great" works.

The Godfather

Comical crime or what crime is all about. The Godfather for the win.

I am not saying Godfather because it is the right thing to do, it is just plain better, and it isn't even close to being close. It is honestly insulting to match TDK to it.

To say that Ledger is the only good thing about TDK is no different than saying Brando is the only good thing about the Godfather.

But Brando is not the only thing good about The Godfather, Ledger imo is the only good thing about TDK.

Nope, Bale, Oldman and Eckhart contributed just as much to that film as Pacino, Duvall and Cann did to theirs.

Dark Knight.

I respect you opinion Squaremaster316. I just feel the film wouldn't be half as good without Ledger. Either way though, imo, The Godfather all the way for me.

I'm going with The Dark Knight :D And no, Joker was not the only good thing about it. What about Bruce's dilemma or Harvey's tragic journey or Gordon's unrewarding hard work? The Dark Knight is more intelligent than people give it credit for. Plus, they are two different kind of films. Yes they're both mob movies (sort of) but The Godfather is primarily drama where as TDK is a thriller. I personally find Nolan's Batman epic more entertaining and hence the decision. Not sure which film had the better story but TDK certainly had the better plot. It absolutely blew me away. Ledger's awesome portrayal of The Joker gives Brando and Pacino a run for their money and that's an achievement in itself. Not only did I enjoy watching TDK more, but I also believe it's the better film. It wins this match-up.

The Godfather FTW, to me the Godfather is the greatest movie of all time (in your face Citizen Kane), its a master piece

The Dark Knight is fantastic!

I'm listening to my heart.

^Did Kelly Clarkson suggest you do that?

The Dark Knight by a small margin.

The Godfather is victorious in NEARLY every department.

I'm all for Team Nolan and everything, very talented director. But nothing he's made has touched The Godfather yet, this is his closest film to do that.

I love Batman but The Godfather crushes.

El Padrino for the win. I loved The Dark Knight but come on, The Godfather is the perfect film.

what robmoviefilms13 said was spot on! Nolan is fantastic but none of his movies have touched this film. Heath Ledger's excellent portrayal of the Joker cannot touch Marlon Brando's Vito. The Godfather ALL THE WAY! Too entertaining

the godfather without question.

best of the decade vs. best of all time?

Nolan is definitely a superb director and has made some of the greatest films of the 21st Century, but he doesn't touch The Godfather.

heath ledger and marlon brando. Best perfomances i have ever seen in a movie

On my last viewing of The Dark Knight, its flaws became for apparent than ever. I still love it, but I consider The Godfather to be flawless.

dark knigt, funny how i change opinion all the time

dark knigth

Batman beats anything.

Love The Godfather, but The Dark Knight is my favorite film of all time, so that.

I need to watch the Godfather again. Its been way too long. I am just gonna have to skip this for now.

If I had to pick one of these movies to be the only one I get to watch ever again in life I'd pick: The Godfather

The Dark Knight is regarded as the Godfather of CBM's for too many reason's to count, and in many ways, is the Godfather of the 21st century.

If Dark Knight is the Godfather of the 21st century, Grand Budapest Hotel is the Star Wars of 21st century. Coming soon: The Family Desgoffe Und Taxis Strikes Back

Teeheehee

The battle of THE two greatest sequels ever to grace the big screen.

Two Classics for sure. The Godfather is the better movie but for entertainment purposes I've got to go with Batman. If I've got to sit through one of them it would be Dark Knight for sure.

'The battle of THE two greatest sequels ever to grace the big screen.' WTF

Probably the toughest choice I've had to make on this website. I suppose The Dark Knight, but only because I haven't really analyzed The Godfather enough. If I watched The Godfather a few more times my opinion may change.

The Godfather is better than The Dark Knight by a small margin but... The Joker is better than Don Vito Corleone by a small margin :)

I enjoy dark knight more but saying that it's better than The Godfather is rubbish.The godfather is far better movie( though boring at times).But as I have mentioned earlier i enjoy TDK more so and it is ranked higher so it gets the vote from me (granted I have seen The godfather only once and have seen the dark knight well above 50 times heck each and every day IN movies now this movie is shown so even when I don't want to watch it I catch some glimpses of this movie some how) So untill i watch Godfather again the dark knight has my vote

The Godfather is the better movie but I prefer watching The Dark Knight.

The Godfather

TDK is overrated, and Godfather is definitely the better film, but I still love TDK more.

Toughest choice so far. The Godfather made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Hard to choose

For God sakes, this isn't even a contest.

Both are Top 10, and both are two films that define flawless within movies. However I do prefer The Dark Knight.

THE best films of their respective genres, bar none.

Dark knight is better in this match Now all those godfather fans are gonna say it doesnt have any flaws but for me it had many 1)the movie is extremely slow.. even citizen kane which came in 1940s is fast paced than this... 2)the first 30mins is a wedding .. ohk i loved their sicilian cultural portrayal but it was just too long. 3)everyone in this movie seems to have a problem in walking... i mean by the time al pacino walks from one place to another joker would have played his next trick.. 4)this movie doesnt even give a shit about villains....no character development no nothing..al pacinos character was developed perfectly but thats the story isnt it he getting slowly converted into the godfather. 5)another example for the slow pace of the movie is where brando gets shot he lies for a lot of time...now coppola used this to show that freddo was a coward but seriously thats enough time for brando to be dead....(when pacino shot sollazo and the other guy they cld die straight away brando cldnt) 6)this movie shows that only brilliant gangster family is theirs...i mean look at the last scene where heads of all other families get shot they dont even seem to have atleast some guards...i dont know about this but i think in real life all the five gangster families where brilliant. 7)this movie talks only about fake love mostly...al pacino loves kay at first...then leaves her not bcoz he doesnt love her but he had to go...then he meets some gorgeous girl staight away marries her..then she dies(and here the movies real fast you dont show pacinos emotions or anything...)then he meets kay again doesnt tell her about being a widower..and marries her this is not love. 8)now both pacinos sister and his wife doesnt have logic or anything...its proved in the last scene...imagine someones coming shouting at you saying you killed their husband what wld u do if u dint kill him wldnt u atleast get up from the seat....now pacino dint and i never saw any scene in godfather 2 where his sister says that he killed her husband so she believed thats the weakest portrayal of trust ever...(if there is a scene indeed then i am sorry pls tell me) 9)it doesnt any crazy camera shots or techniques and all... when compared to kane at that time Now guys dont take me wrong godfathers a great movie and i love it but saying its flawless is really not the truth...

There's a reason that the dark Knight is put in more discussions, matchups, and each if those has a ton of comments. It's because it's fantastic. It gets so much attention, and has so many people that love it because it's one of the best movies ever made. The Godfather is great too, but if it would have been made in the 2000's it wouldn't receive all of the credit that it deserves. The dark Knight is only the underdog here because it's not made in the 50's,60's, or 70's

The Godfather sucked. Just because the Godfather doesn't have any explosions doesn't make it necessarily a "smart" or "clever" movie. I understood the story fine, the dialogue was pretty interesting here and there, but by God the Godfather is the most overrated movie ever. The Dark Knight is far more than just an action movie. It has explosions and big action sequences sure, but those sequences are well executed and the explosions are proper, practical and used as part of the plot, not explosions like some Michael Bay feast. The Dark Knight is a deep film about crime and the morality of men, of good and evil, chaos and anarchy etc. The Godfather is about a "shocking" film (it was in 1972) about the mob family and their struggles and a son's fall from grace. The Dark Knight is a better film. The Joker is a far better and more interesting character than Vito or Michael Corleone.

Godfather is pretty good, don't get me wrong. The world that Francis Ford Coppola has created is a masterpiece. But the movie is just so slow and dull. Even the dialogue. I don't need big explosions and action, I'm okay with dialogue, but make the dialogue intriguing, interesting and thrilling, not boring and so uninteresting. The Dark Knight had far better dialogue (Harvey dent and joker scenes), and was more fast paced (which is not a bad thing). The Knight takes down the mob. I'll say it now. The Dark Knight is BETTER than the Godfather. The Godfather submits to THE DARK KNIGHT. THE DARK KNIGHT IS LORD OVER THE GODFATHER. THE DARK KNIGHT IS MASTER OVER THE GODFATHER. THE DARK KNIGHT TAKES THE GODFATHER DOWN AND STANDS VICTORIOUS OVER IT.

The two greatest crime films of all time. Godfather because it is perfect and immortal.

TDK easily.

The Godfather is really brilliant, but I rather be going with Dark Knight here.

Two of the objectively best movies of all time! The Dark Knight just works better for me!

Must go with godfather here..

The godfather has greatest characters and story.

The dark knight is succeed the better film here while the godfather is mostly the great term classic films ever.

DK all day

The dark knight is obviously the greatest film of the classics.

TDK is probably the best superhero movie ever, but it doesn't come close to The Godfather lol

The dark knight summons the entire best ultimate unique of all.

The Dark Knight barely takes this.

Godfather takes this. The Dark Knight is a good superhero movie, but it's only that. A superhero movie. The Godfather is much better.

You can make the argument for The Godfather being a better film but TDK holds so much more entertainment and rewatch value, not to mention Ledger gives as good of a of a performance as Brando and Pacino. I'll give Dark Knight the win.

You can make the argument for The Godfather being a better film but TDK holds so much more entertainment and rewatch value, not to mention Ledger gives as good of a of a performance as Brando and Pacino. I'll give Dark Knight the win.

godfather is too good, even for tdk

Both of these movies are fantastic, with complex characters, an intricately structured plot, well written and memorable dialogue, a stacked cast, phenomenal performances, complex themes, and mature and relevant social commentary. The thing is, The Godfather just did it better. It's a better shot movie. One of the best, actually. If I had to name 5 films to watch just for cinematography, this would be one of them. It's a superbly edited movie, with the ending baptism being one of the best showcases of it. The characters are more developed with more complexity there, and the development and character arc of Michael Corleone is arguably the best in movie history. As for performances, as good as Ledger was as Joker, I don't see him surpassing either Pacino's Michael or Brando's Don Corleone anytime soon. The music, personally, worked better in The Godfather to make it feel more like a Shakespearean tragedy than just another mafia movie. I'm under the belief that no movie is truly flawless. In every movie, you can find flaws. But The Godfather is among the very few that I'd consider as close to perfect as humanly possible. The Dark Knight, on the other hand, not quite on that level, but still a landmark in cinematic history and a modern classic.

Pretty hard. But the dark Knight. Close chose. The dark Knight is on 200 points. The godfather is 188 points. So the dark Knight wins but, o good god. This was hard

These has to be 2 of my favorite movies of all time. Both are easily 10/10 movies. I guess I'll go with TDK since I liked Joker more than anyone in The Godfather

On rewatch, I'll just keep things short. Nolan is one of the best directors of the 21st century, and a good case could be made for him being one of the best of all time, but nothing he's made has ever, and likely never will, touched The Godfather's level. The Dark Knight may be his best effort, but it's still nearly 40 places lower on my list

TDK wins High-Eztreme Diff

In My flickchart TDK Is 1 The Godfather 3 TDK wins

The Dark Knight win for me But The Godfather Is a masterpiece

My 2 favorite movies of all time I have to go with The Godfather