Oldboy vs. Se7en

3 comments

14 comments

Two modern classics. Which way to go...

both movies are very diferent, yet...somehow they belong to the same family.... very very tough choice.

SE7EN is a very good film, no doubt, but OLDBOY is some kind of bizarro masterpiece. The villain has a scheme far more warped than what the killer in SE7EN had in mind, and the lead performance is just mesmerizing to watch. I can't stop watching that guy. Also... best movie smile, ever.

Seven. I found Oldboy too hard to believe and a far too contrived.

Se7en is great, but Oldboy is a masterpiece

This is one of the toughest matchups I've arrived at... I can watch Se7en more frequently, Oldboy is more disturbing imo. I'm tempted to go for Se7en just for rewatch value, although I consider them both masterpieces of their genres.

They are both very powerful, dark films. Ultimately, though, I find that the wrath of Oh Dae-Su is enough of a tempest to encompass all. I appreciate the artistic aesthetic of Se7en, but it pales in comparison to Oldboy's emotional arch.

I've changed my mind - Oldboy it is!

Yeah, both are powerful and haunting films that stick with you long after you've seen them. Their initial viewings were nothing short of amazing. But I choose Se7en. It's story was darker and more disturbing than Oldboy's. Talk about cruel endings huh?

Its*

Oldboy is the ostensibly classier/less populist film, even though I think a lot of people rally behind it more because it's an "important" modern foreign movie that pretty much fills out the important foreign movie bingo chart (artsy, "shocking", potentially culturally dissonant, etc.) than because it's particularly successful in what it sets out to do. I guess if you gave Se7en a classical soundtrack and some contrived magical realism touches they'd be pretty similar movies.

Se7en for me, Oldboy is great but like most Korean films it's sort of a one note wonder

Both are modern masterpieces with similar motors, plot development, atmosphere, villains etc. But I have to go with Seven. It was (slightly) more compelling to me.

^ motifs* NOT "motors" hahaha

Both movies have a really great way of asking the viewer "what's in the box?" And both are equally rewarding. This is a close one but I'm going to have to pick se7en.

Oldboy it is

Se7en

se7en is great, but i love oldeuboi more

Oldboy doesn't hold up for me. Se7en does.