The Boxer's Omen vs. Satan's Children

0 comments

2 comments

The Boxer's Omen is a Buddhism vs. black magic gross-out extravaganza. What may be the deal breaker for some viewers is when the evil magicians chew up and regurgitate a variety of foul substances as part of their rituals. Strangely, that didn't bother me, despite my hating people who chew with their mouths open. The whole movie mostly consists of either grotesque rituals or tripped-out visuals, often at the same time. Satan's Children is about a group of Satanists who engage in sex and torture. There's also a gay rapist biker and a bitchy stepsister. The Boxer's Omen is by far more of an event to sit through, but not exactly the kind of movie I want to watch a lot. It's nuts, which is good, but there's not much relief. Just one, long "WTF?". Satan's Children, with its amateurish charm and less sensory overload-oriented weirdness, is more a flick on can sit down with on an average day.

Boxer's Omen has entertaining craziness, Satan's Children (specifically the over-the-top homophobia) is a less entertaining, more real world craziness. I felt like I needed a shower after Satan's Children, which actually makes it pretty effective as a horror movie. A difficult choice, but the fact I still remember the visceral creepiness of Satan's Children years after the only time I've seen it says something. Unintentional creepiness puts Satan's Children over the Boxer's Omen for me, I guess.