Dawn of the Dead vs. Zombie

2 comments

1 comments

The only version of Zombie that I was able to find was completely dubbed over in Italian with no subtitles whatsoever. Aside from that misstep, I actually had a lot of fun with it. It doesn't quite pick up until the characters reach the island but when they do, the blood and guts start spilling. I remember seeing a few classical scenes of Zombie on YouTube awhile back such as the eye gouging scene and the zombie vs. shark scene. While these two and the zombies rising from their graves scene all kick a ton of ass, the film doesn't quite reach Dawn of the Dead's level for me. Character development in Zombie wasn't that great, but then again, how the hell would I know? I watched the whole thing in Italian without knowing a single word of it. I had to make up dialogue for the characters as the film went along such as "Oh my god, zombies!" or "Gee, I hope that sharp piece of wood doesn't end up in my eye!" The gore and awesome scenes made up for this in the long run though. I'm just hoping to catch a copy of the movie where I can actually understand what the hell is going on. Until then and probably past then, I'll stick with Romero and his masterpiece.

No, trust me, there's no character development even in English. It's total schlock. Fun, but Dawn's better in just about every way (even the cheese/gore factor).

Dawn whoops Zombie's ass. Straight-up. It has its moments, but Zombie DOES lose in every way. And does it have Ken Foree? No, it does not.

Dawn is smarter and crazier way better but Zombie is so much fun the Shark the gore and blood it for its time and place is fantastic Love Zombie but Dawn of the Dead is best.