Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance vs. Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone

0 comments

0 comments

Evangelion is hailed as a masterpiece of art and thought. I assure you that this is a nought but wildly misguided sentiment and apocrypha (my choice of words was very specific there, anyone who's seen NGE or read a deluded fanboy's interpretation of it will get what I mean). I recall watching NGE when I was about 15, but that's all. Essentially I went into the 'Rebuild' movies as a newcomer. I was disappointed. 1.0 is boring, really boring. 2.0 (or 2.22?) is much more engrossing, but it's still not something I'd recommend. Yeah it's more eventful and humorous than the first film, but it suffers from the same major problem: Shinji Ikari. Possibly (probably?) the worst protagonist of all time. The kid's an insecure bitch and a cowardly brat with all the personality of a wooden dummy. He has some sort of metamorphosis in 2.0, but even that was pretty shameful. I mean the little shit finds new strength of character, resolve and is bestowed some questionable sort of courage by his infantile love for an equally boring girl (wooden chick dummy, Rei Ayanami). Why is this anime so lauded? Perhaps it's because it plays out like a pathetic, asocial nerd's wet dream... An absolute loser fall face first into a bunch of pussies, is given a suit to become a badass and must save the world from super-natural forces. This is not a new approach to fantasy, and it's certainly not intellectual. It's just dressed up that way by the fans. Still, I sense the series is building towards something. I'll reserve absolute judgement till I've successfully suffered through the whole thing.