The Social Network vs. The King's Speech

14 comments

1 comments

Ah yes, the Oscar battle!! King's Speech will win because it's a more traditional Oscar type of movie but I personally pick Social Network. It may not be historically accurate but it's a damn enjoyable story told in an enjoyable way. But I do admit that King's Speech made me feel good :-)

Both of these had really strong acting performances all around and both deserve all the praise they are receiving. That being said, my favorite movie of the year is The Social Network. Everything about it worked for me.

Social Network. Not to diss The King's Speech, but it's not as good.

Isn't that the question everyone is asking today?

The Social Network, of course. The King's Speech is my #6 of the year (In front of Exit Through the Gift Shop and behind Black Swan).

The battle for the oscars. I mean, if I had my way, Social Network would take home the grand prize and even Colin Firth (although talented and highly congradulated) lost best actor. But I didn't. Oh well.

Agree with all the above. The Social Network was simply the more engrossing movie. Quite honestly, wasn't much of a contest...

I think Social Network was stolen of its Academy Award for Best Picture & Best Director at the Academy Awards. I do really like The King's Speech and I think the only reason the Academy had chosen it for those awards was because they like the period piece films that are set in WWII, etc. and not much else. For me on this competition though, I vote Social Network.

The Social Network. Still, I think this should've won Best Picture. The King's Speech was really good but it was your typical Oscar bait.

Social Network was so much more powerful in theme. Kings Speech was basically Rocky with public speaking. Oh, and James Franco should've beaten Colin Firth, because as all actors will say, being alone onscreen is the most difficult condition to perform in. Firth had Geofrey Rush to lean on.

This is a battering, and a just one to be quite honest. Antipodal movies in a way, what with TSN being about slick, rhythmic delivery of words and TKS being, well, you know. TKS is better than I thought it'd be, much better, but it's still a bit of a chore to listen to a dude struggle through his sentences. Anyway, could the cast list of TKS have been changed? Maybe Stallone as Bertie, Carl Weathers as Logue and Talia Shire as Liz? No, that Rocky III reference isn't my way of calling TKS hackneyed, this is: FUCK THE ACADEMY.

I hate to kick a stuttering king while he's down, but I also have to go with The Social Network.

They are both very good, but I think I'm going to help TKS out a little here. For one thing, when I got the DVD of The Social Network I couldn't hear what they were saying for a good part of it. Not sure whether the balance was wrong or not but I found that incredibly annoying. Both were very impressionable, but I think TKS a) had better production values, b) had a better cast and c) was more enjoyable. As a former amateur musician and actor, I can relate to the themes of courage and overcoming debilitating problems (not so much the latter, but I know plenty of people who have done) in the face of adversity and a large audience much more than d*cking on my friends for money. So much as I enjoy them both, and they are both in my top 100, the stuttering monarch wins over the socially awkward billionaire with aspergers. Or maybe I'm biased because I'm British ;)

The choice the Academy should have made - but no one's surprised they didn't - The Social Network.

Social Network. King's Speech is still really good, but I feel it robbed TSN of Best Picture.

The King's Speech was very good, but the Social Network wins, barely, by being better written and more challenging.

The Social Network. Fincher all the way!!

The Social Network was way more engaging.

I would have taken Black Swan over either of these, but The Social Network wins here

Hey hey, let me be the first to vote for the Kings Speech here. Not because it is a great film, because it isn't. But because the Social Network is grossly overrated!

The Social Network is better written, better acted, far more polished on a technical level, and is far more relevant