Titan A.E. vs. Atlantis: The Lost Empire

4 comments

3 comments

Hmmm, here's an interesting one. Two animated adventures which, in my opinion, were both incredibly underrated. I haven't seen any of them in over 10 years, but I really liked both when they came out. Titan A.E. was probably the edgier of the two, but I remember Atlantis more clearly. I recon I'll come down on the side of Atlantis for now, but to be honest, I want to watch both again and see which one holds up better. Maybe I'll change my mind then.

reckon* Not that I really give a large fuck about other mofos' spelling issues, but you drop the k consistently and "I reckon..." seems to be a phrase you use a whole lot. What? I'm being an altruist.

Bollocks, your right. Shit, why didn't i notice? Thanks for picking up on that.

...You're*? ;V

Muscle memory, probably. I mean typos and brain-freezes (like 'your' instead of 'you're') happen all the time and there's usually nothing more to it than poor concentration (I guess there are folks who just don't understand the fundamentals of grammar and writing), but a lot of these things I'm sure are just muscle memory. For instance, I used to pop an extra t in every time I typed 'platitude', even though I would give you the correct spelling if directly asked to spell it out. But when typing (and maybe when writing, not sure) the routine of spelling 'attitude' would override my awareness. Interesting subject.

It was the early hours of the morning when I typed that up, plus I had an exam that day followed by a few drinks. In short, not thinking straight :P As for "recon", it is a word in itself, albeit a shortened version of "reconnaissance", but "reckon" is a word I usually use in casual spoken conversation, not written text. Sometimes I write these comments on flickchart as if I were discussing my opinion with someone face-to-face, but I'm fairly certain I almost never write the word "reckon/recon" in any other situation as it's considered too informal for most of the written documents I have to write. So I never really thought about spelling it too much, but I probably confused "recon" and "reckon" from using the former term in my short spell in the military reserves. But thanks for clearing that up.

Both sadly underrated animated epics (with very interesting thematic similarities, as well), but my heart belongs to Titan A.E., with it's gorgeous animation, awesome soundtrack, and broad scope in comparison to the more contained Atlantis (i.e. the fate of all of humanity versus the fate of a small island nation). Plus, Nathan Lane!

for me Titan a.e wins because here they are made much better than Atlantis and I'm very sorry that this film was truly Don Bluth's last film