The Adventures of Tintin vs. War Horse

5 comments

3 comments

Two solid pictures from Spielberg last year. I prefer War Horse slightly, but Tintin was loads of fun -- particularly Captain Haddock and Thomson & Thompson.

Spielberg had 2 very different projects in 2011. War Horse is one of the best World War 2 films ever made. The Adventures of Tin Tin is a fun, family oriented adventure story.

Dwa gówna. Tintin nieco lepszy.

Tintin is an amazing animated film, and the true return to the Indiana Jones franchise that we all wanted Crystal Skull to be, but never was. War Horse is overrated IMO. They get you attached to certain characters, then kill them, then move on to other characters, then kill them, then move on to other- oh, you get the idea. It just gets frustrating. Tintin, however, never has a dull moment. It's filled with such a sense of grand adventure and Andy Serkis is in it. That makes it a great movie right off the bat. But then you get into the swing of things, it has an energy that you rarely see in movies anymore. And not in an 80's nostalgia type of way, but it a way that feels organic. Easy choice, Tintin for the winwin.

War Horse's story suffered because of the inherent problems within the source material. I haven't read the book, but I have seen the stage play, and the film is pretty faithful as far as I can tell. The difference is that you can get away with certain things in th stage production that you can't get away with it film such as deliberately meandering plot lines and excessive melodrama, plus the play had the added charm of having a fully working mechanical horse. As it is, War Horse isn't terrible, but it's certainly not as strong as Spielberg's other work. Tintin was one of his best either, but it was more entertaining and enjoyable overall. Tintin wins.

The Adventures of Tintin surprised me. War Horse didn't. Let's just say...I like it when Spielberg breaks from the norm a bit....

*wasn't one of his best

Neither one of these 2 are going to be confused as Spielberg's best films. I enjoyed War Horse a little more than Tintin.