The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King vs. Saving Private Ryan

16 comments

7 comments

Two of the greatest War films of all time. On one side we have the fantasy epic featuring some great performances and CGI. On the other side we have a historical action flick which is very emotional. In the end Ill go with Return of the King.

The Lord of the Rings for me as well. A much more epic and breakthrough film. I love the action and the battles in this film. Even now I still enjoy it intensely.

Do you really think Return of the King is the more epic film? Saving Private Ryan I can watch more times than Return of the King. Right now, SPR wins

Return of the King!

Private Ryan beats each LOTR movie...

SPR loses to each LOTR film imo. The ROTK is such a deep, intense and powerful film. SPR is too but it also has pacing issues imo such as the extremely bloated battle at the start of the film. I'm the only one who has a problem with that but the rest of SPR is a pretty powerful film. I just pick ROTK.

I'm going with Saving Private Ryan. I too think it beats all LOTR movies.

Good matchup. ROTK for me though.

Two war films I really liked. Return of the King takes, there's more to it that I enjoyed besides the big battles.

Return of the King gets my vote.

Saving Private Ryan totaly wins here, I HATE THE STORIES OF TOLKIEN.

so similar in some ways. Return of the king is such a great adventure, but SPR is just the richer and more emotional film

My problem though with the lord of the rings (particular the first and the second) is that it doesn't not feel like a complete movie. Fellowship has no real ending. And two towers lacks the ending AND a beginning. ROTK however almost has these criteria. It does have an ending and an okay beginning for a stand alone movie.

I would not categorize LOTR as a war film, its just an epic movie that surpasses all movies

Saving Private Ryan. It has better casting,acting and a better screenplay

Saving Private Ryan. It has better casting,acting and a better screenplay

Easy Saving Private Ryan

ROTK is my choice, topples SPR

Saving Private Ryan = a very good movie, The Return of the King = the very best movie

This is funny... SPR Rapes this kid without a question, and then jizz's on his face.

LOTR match-up is so funny, why FOTR always win at only get 69 % and ROTK lost so often and it gets 70?

Return of the King easily

This is tough as hell. I mean saving private Ryan might technically be superior I personally love the parts that really show you what humanity is capable of and how brutal war is. Opening scene is legendary. I really loved the part of the guy who has a weird relationship with his mother he never got to resolve, it's the most I ever cared about the death of a side character. And yet, because of sentimental reasons mostly (dad and I used to watch lord of the rings every year around Christmas time) I'll go for LOTR.

ear
ear

Saving Private Ryan easily wins this match up.

SPR is a more important, impactful, and influential film than ROTK. D-day > any action scene from ROTK.