Dawn of the Planet of the Apes vs. War for the Planet of the Apes

7 comments

4 comments

I'd say that War is definitely better than Dawn, but it isn't without its flaws. As far as Dawn goes, it's the only film in the PotA series I'm completely indifferent towards: I guess it's fine, but it's so predictable and cliched with flat characterizations that I don't get any enjoyment out of it. WotPotA makes a smart move by shifting most of the focus to the apes instead of splitting the screentime in half for the humans and apes, and therefore the apes get more depth than they got before. War is also a more visually interesting film with a better score and a less predictable plotline. There's still some stupid shit here though, like the fact that every single living thing in this flick is named after someone from the original series. It was getting pretty silly before, but now it's downright ridiculous. How it ties into the 1968 original is a bit disappointing to say the least and kind of unnecessary anyway: the original takes place a little shy of twenty centuries later, so did it HAVE to tie into the original the way that it did? No, ofcourse not. There's some cool shit though in War, too bad the middle dragged a bit. It's a step up, but unlike most people I still like Rise the best of this now trilogy.

While "War" is a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy, ultimately the misleading marketing (promoting it as an epic action war flick) left me disappointed. Even with rewatch, ultimately Dawn gets the edge for more momentum and action.

Mostly agree with Mystic albeit without the benefit of having seen the originals to compare, though I suspected this might be the case. I also think Rise is the best of this trilogy, but War is a very close second. Dawn improved upon re-watch and I still rate it very highly, but there are a lot of things which I wanted it to do that it didn't deliver on, like spending more time focusing on the Apes, conveying more of the storytelling through sign language etc. Consequently I regard it as the weakest of the reboot PotA trilogy. War did all of these things and managed to deliver a satisfying conclusion to one of the most consistent film trilogies in recent years. War wins.

Koba is the best villain in the entire trilogy, and that's what makes the difference in this matchup.

Apes win man loses... YAWN. Yawn of the Planet of the Apes.

I think War is the best film of the trilogy. Both Dawn and War are much better than Rise IMO.

The 2nd film has the benefit of Koba's terrifying presence.

I was underwhelmed by both to be honest. After watching War, I realised that Dawn was just setup without any other qualities and it really can't stand on it's own! It's also very clichéd and melodramatic. War is fine but it has similar problems to Dawn. Although, it does feel a lot more character driven and personal so I will give it the win!

These were both very close for me. I actually enjoyed them much more than any of the other Planet of the Apes films, but between these two, I'm going with Dawn. The two films remind me Empire Strikes Back vs. Return on the Jedi. The third film is satisfying in tying up the trilogy, but the second is more satisfying.

I’ll go Dawn

Dawn

I really loved Dawn, but personally War exceeded my expectations and had a better narrative than what I had expected. It had a better impact on me overall.

Really liked Rise and Dawn, LOVED War