The Living Daylights vs. Tomorrow Never Dies

1 comments

3 comments

I was probably a little too hard on TND in '97; I've come around to really enjoy it over the last few years. Still, I'm going with Timothy Dalton's impressive--and unfairly overlooked--debut as 007. It's a little convoluted, but still a solid Bond movie.

The two most underrated Bond films? I think so, although The Living Daylights has more or less achieved the reputation it deserves. Tomorrow Never Dies is often ranked near the bottom, which I find strange. Is it really that bad? I rather enjoy it. In fact, I may actually enjoy it as much as if not a tiny bit more than the fan favorite GoldenEye.

I don't think they are the most underrated Bond films, but they definitely are underrated. It is fairly close, but I'm gonna have to go with The Living Daylights.

Speaking only for myself, I came to realize that my biggest complaint about TOMORROW NEVER DIES originally was simply that it wasn't GOLDENEYE - which is, of course, an entirely unfair and unreasonable position to take. I recently watched all four Brosnan movies in a marathon viewing session and I think it's actually the strongest of his outings - yes, even over GOLDENEYE, where it has the advantage of being more streamlined and less "kitchen sink"-y. THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS is still as satisfying as ever, but my estimation of TOMORROW NEVER DIES having risen, it gets the nod this go round.

The Living Daylights