High and Low vs. The Third Man

2 comments

2 comments

The Third Man is breezier and generally more entertaining than High and Low, which is a bit longish. While The Third Man gets moving right away and mostly keeps a snappy pace, High and Low takes a while to pick up steam. When it does get going it's pretty good. I think The Third Man's only real weakness is Orson Welles, who I do not care for as an actor. There's something hammy about him. Otherwise The Third Man maintains its momentum well. High and Low isn't so consistent.

I actually rather like Orson Welles' hamminess. He wears it well. As for this matchup, it's a bit of a coin flip for me since I'm really not crazy about either. I'm going to just click that button down there and see how it all turns out.

Easily, easily...High and Low.

The Third Man is certainly a good film, in fact I'd even call it very good. I did have some problems with it though. I am one of the people who hated the score and felt it was completely wrong for the movie and didn't at all match the tone. High and Low on the other hand blew me away. Its not often that I can call a film one of my all time favorites after just one viewing, but that was the case with High and Low. I feel it will only get better with repeat viewings. Admittedly, I should probably give The Third Man another go.

High and Low for me as well, much more entertaining.