Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith vs. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

34 comments

17 comments

oh dear. can I make my decision based on the poster art? If so, Ep 1 in this case. always loved that shadow of Vader.

I love the "Vader's shadow" poster. I have one hanging here in my office. Even though Episode I is a flawed film, I still really like the concept of that poster. It's really clever.

Episode 1 is so...dull compared to Episode 3. Either way, I'm not fond of either, but 3 was the only one of the prequels I feel comfortable allowing in the overall Star Wars canon.

The "Noooooooooooo" ruined it for me.

That episode III poster is an abomination if I've ever seen one. Wow. On the other hand, the Episode I poster is really neat (legend has it they got the inspiration for that shot by chance, but I can't believe that). I always think that Episode I is the more complete of the films. I actually feel a beginning, middle, and end to it, even if all three elements are crappy. I don't get that with the other 2. The clipshow ending at the end of III is awful

Episode III eased the pain of Episodes I & II a little. Not much. But a little.

The prequel trilogy is much, much too controversial, if you ask me. The original trilogy had some good one-liners, but all of these films are equally campy and silly. THE PHANTOM MENACE had a lot of work put into it and a lot of enthusiasm -- I think the negative press made the next too episodes somewhat joyless and everything from the writing to the editing seems half-assed. As a result, MENACE feels more in continuity with the previous films and somehow, less painful to watch.

Revenge of the Sith could at least have lived up to past Star Wars movies if not for small details like TOO MUCH CGI, bad antagonist in Grievous, bad protagonist(?) in Anakin...but the improvements still give it some cred. Seriously though, why isn't Genndy Tartakovsky's animated Clone Wars an option? Best Star Wars material since the 80s.

The Phantom Menace is better. Revenge Of The Sith sucked. It is the worst of all the Star Wars films. It is not as good as ANY of the others, by a long shot.

Neither Anakin can act for a damn, but at least Jake Lloyd had the excuse of being a little kid.

mce
mce

Would you rather have your scrotum stomped on by an elephant or a water buffalo?

two of the worst movies of the decade. who the hell cares?

I think I'm for Ep 1 over Ep 2, Duel of the Fates!!! enough said.

Episode III is better. It is not a good movie, but it is the best of the three prequels. The Phantom Menace is such a terrible movie that making something worse would have defied the laws of probability.

It's easy, the best vs. the worst of the new trilogy

Episode III is the best of the new trilogy. So, as much as I love Qui-Gon, I have to give it to part 3.

JRM
JRM

I really like Phantom Menace, but it's Episode III that I love. My favorite Star Wars film.

Fuck You Daniele Archibugi.

phantom menace!

I remember being overly-hyped for Phantom Menace, Revenge of the Sith not so much, and subsequently I enjoyed it more than I thought I would

I found plenty to enjoy about the prequels, though I can nitpick with the rest of the fanboys. "Revenge of the Sith" has the largest gaping plot holes, but it's also the one I enjoyed the most. It gets the nod.

Revenge of the Sith all the way, Phantom Menace is the ONLY bad Star Wars movie.

Once again, this is like comparing Spam to Steak. Episode III is the Steak while Episode I is the Spam. Revenge of the Sith wins by a longshot.

Ho hum... Both bad for different reasons.... Cant stand Anikan in either film, but at least Sith has less Jar-Jar...

you know i liked both films but i have to go with number 3 especially the last battle scene when anikan skywalker and obaiwan i have to go with 3

Episode I was geared for the kiddie crowd. Episode III at least had elements that fans of the original trilogy could appreciate. Not close...

I often wonder if while watching episode 1 Lucas actually thought he had a good thing going with Jar-Jar, Episode III.

Easily episode III here. Now,imagine a movie that EXCLUDED 99% of Phantom Menace & 80% of Attack of the clones. Now incorporate those elements on revenge of the sith. Is not that hard,think. Only the key moments. I can EASILY imagine a very,very good movie that would make every SW fan proud. But hey,it's hollywood. We need trilogies. and prequels. and reboots. and remakes.

You know what? Im going with Phantom Menace.

Im giving it to the first one. Yep, thats right The Phantom Menace. I thought it was a much better experience. I remember watching it when I was a kid in the cinemas. I had so much fun with it, I especially love the epic battle at the end of the film.

Revenge of the Sith

Which do I go with? The movie that failed to meet impossibly high expectations (and sucked)? Or the movie that barely exceeded impossibly low expectations (and sucked)? Both of these movies suck, but both have fragments that elevate them above films that suck with no ambition. TPM's bad-ass ninja-sith? Pretty cool. RotS's opening space battle shot? Pretty cool. TPM wins here, not by being a good film, but by having slightly fewer moments that made me want to bang my head against a brick wall. RotS loses by having scenes like Padme "dying of a broken heart" (or at least, so says the dumb-as-$@%& mid-wife robot).

There's this one part in Episode III where Obi-Wan goes "the Sith are evil!" or something to that effect, and Anakin replies "from my point of view, the Jedi are evil!" It was very nice of George Lucas to let his 5 year old nephew write the script.

Both are underrated, but far from masterpieces. Sith is my pick but both are decent films.

Phantom Menace wins its very underated.

Anybody notice that Anakin at the end of Revenge of the Sith when he was fighting McGregor, that his face and the way he talked was similar to Andrew in Chronicle at the end of Chronicle?

Sith, really this is the issue of losing an eye vs losing a toe, both are horrible but one is much better,

Revenge of the Sith is easily the best Star Wars Film of the Prequel Trilogy. The Phantom Menace is not a very good movie but still it is alot better than that CGI Crapfest Attack of the Clones movie. So Revenge of the Sith wins by far.

All terrible movies in the prequel trilogy which to this day disgust me and offend me. However, Ep III is less terrible than Ep I which began the whole *midichlorians* and Gungans and CGI and Jar Jar Binks- the worst movie character and most annoying pile of crap I ever saw

Revenge of the Sith is much better, but it still has nothing on the original trilogy.

Phantom Menace definitely pissed me off worse than either of the other two prequel films, however the prequel trilogy as a whole pretty much ruined Star Wars for me with each successive one making me feel really bad about being a fan of the original films. Here's just hoping Disney can't screw it up any worse than Lucas did to his own creation.

Revenge of the Sith is better than The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. Now, Let's all hope that Star Wars Episode VII will be good in 2015.

Both good flicks, RotS wins for sure, though.

I need to be honest and say that in my opinion Revenge of the Sith is my favorite of the Star Wars Saga, but I see them all as a whole instead of only 6 movies, Episode III at number 5 on my chart represents the whole Saga, but this is by far better than The Phantom Menace.

Revenge of the Sith is twice the movie Phantom Menace is. ROTS cleans the other prequels clocks.

Having just rewatched the prequel movies back-to-back, I can now honestly say that the only one that I truly hate is Attack of the Clones. Phantom Menace is a bad "Star Wars" film, and Revenge of the Sith, though the best of the prequels, still has nothing on the original trilogy. However, neither is an inherently terrible film; PM is at worst a semi-decent piece of Saturday afternoon Sci-Fi/Fantasy pantomine with, yes, some terrible elements to it, but nothing that a lot of other mediocre films from the 90s had in them, namely annoying sidekicks and crap child actors. Revenge of the Sith still has many of the trappings of the other prequel films: mostly crap acting, horrible writing and a sickening overuse of CGI, but it does at least occasionally rise above these short-comings to deliver something that can be a lot better at times. Overall Revenge of the Sith wins, but again, none of the prequels have shit on the originals.

Episode III has way too much action, while Episode I has the perfect balance of action and plot development. The Phantom Menace wins.

Revenge of the Sith is the only one of the prequels that I genuinely love. Sith wins quite easily, though I get pretty hyped while watching the Duel of the Fates lightsaber fight from The Phantom Menace.

I've had a bit of a change of heart. I'm always asking myself, "What is the best thing about the prequels?". I think it's, without a doubt, Darth Maul. I still quite like Revenge of the Sith, but not as much as I used to. On the other hand, I'm loving Phantom Menace the more that I think about it.

The Phantom Menace is underrated...but I have to give it to Revenge Of The Sith, the best of the Star Wars films.

Darth Maul vs. General Grievous

Darth Maul is a badass Star Wars villain over General Grievous.

Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace is a kick-ass film with Darth Maul.

Darth Maul kicks General Grievous's butt.

After the masterpieces known as "Star Wars", "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return Of The Jedi", anything will disappoint but nothing could be as bad as these two films. Soulless, joyless and poorly written after the original trilogy had opened our minds up to a different world with interesting and likeable characters! Thank J.J. for The Force Awakens!

Rac
Rac

I do actually prefer Phantom over Sith, Fall of the Jedi fancut, that is, but talking about the theatrical cuts, I guess Sith wins.

Episode 3 mostly may somehow had better visual moments since episode 1 and 2 are generally awful.

Revenge of the Sith is million times better. The Phantom Menace is one of the worst movies ever made. The Phantom Menace has bad plot, bad acting, bad action scenes and annoying characters. Revenge of the Sith has better plot, far better acting, and better action scenes, such as the duel on Mustafar. Revenge of the Sith is the total winner.

ROTS is the best of the prequels.

Both aren't great, but ROTS is more emotionally powerful.

ear
ear

Sith was far better than uneven Phantom. Menace.

Sith was decent, Phantom Menace is garbage.

Wouldn't call Phantom Menace, but it was the bottom of the Star Wars franchise, and a mediocre movie, Sith singlehandedly save the prequel trilogy

ROTS easily. But the other Phantom menace ain’t as bad as most would say.