The Texas Chain Saw Massacre vs. Night of the Living Dead

2 comments

9 comments

Two of the greatest low budget movies ever. I have to go for Night. I love it's gritty, home-movie feel.

Though Night of the Living Dead does have good atmosphere, it isn't very scary or disturbing (except that part with the little girl). I don't like any of the characters, either, so their fate doesn't create any drama. With The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the characters get picked off quicker, so even the annoying guy in the wheelchair is disposed of before he can become grating. What matters most, though, is that Chainsaw really creates a feel of sweat and blood and horror that Night of the Living Dead can't match. When the last survivor is running and screaming for dear life while the chainsaw buzzes behind her, I kinda feel like I'm there.

Granted Texas Chainsaw is much more messed up, I feel Night works better at being a movie. It takes forever for Leatherface to show up in Chainsaw but right from the get go in Night you have zombies. I also feel the overall plot in Night is more cohesive.

You gotta kinda put yourself in the context of the time. People are so used to a certain image of zombie movies in pop culture, they tend to get put off by the almost "monster movie" vibe at the start of Night. That's what Romero was breaking away from, afterall, and somewhere in the production before they decided to do a straight-up horror, the movie was actually meant to be a parody of monster movies. Yes, Night of the Living Dead almost turned out to be the Scary/Epic/Disaster Movie of the 60s. Anyway, somehow Texas feels more "alive" (hur hur).

NOTLD

Easy Night of the Living Dead

The one where my ears don't bleed out.

Night is the easy choice here...

To me they are both at the same level of greatness, they both have a great atmosphere and I wish more horror movies were like those two.... I'll go with The Texas Chain Saw Massacre for now but it could change any time.

Texas Chain Saw.

Horror classics. But Texas Chain Saw Massacre was probably the horror classic I liked the least. It's pretty great, but I was pretty annoyed and bored most of the time. Night was an incredible movie and it's up there in my top 50.

Night of the Living Dead is better, but only by a fraction

Two great horror classics. I pick Night of the Living Dead in a close one.

Leatherface could easily take out all the ghouls in night.