Superman vs. Superman II

11 comments

11 comments

on 9/1/2009

The original has not been toped.

on 3/14/2010

If Richard Donner had gotten to finish the sequel, this would've been more of a challenge.

on 3/23/2010

The two best movies in the Superman series, though the original tops the first sequel easily.

on 12/13/2010

Based on the Richard Donner Cut I'm going with 2 over 1.

on 4/25/2011

Zod takes the cake, but only if its the Donner cut.

on 4/17/2013

Two best definitely, but an easy win for the sequel here. This film improves upon the weaknesses of the original and that is the villain and how anticlimatic it all got due to poor pacing. The first was good but inconsistent whereas the second was far more enjoyable for me

on 4/17/2013

Electric Boogaloo. A little bit of Zod can make all the difference in the world. And how gangsta was Superman at the end there? The bit with the hand never ceases to put a smile on my face.

on 4/17/2013

S2 Donnor Cut > S1 > S2 Lester Cut

on 4/17/2013

Superman is to Superman II what Ghostbusters is to Ghostbusters II, which is to say the first is a classic and the sequel is a failure.

on 4/18/2013

Whoa. No, sir. Let me take my earrings off. That analogy is ghastly.

on 4/18/2013

Superman II is one of the best superhero films. I'd personally rank it just below the Dark Knight and Batman Begins but I haven't of course seen all superhero films!

on 4/18/2013

Kneel before Superman II!

on 6/5/2013

Too bad Richard Donner couldn't properly finish Superman II. If he did, Superman II would have been much better than it already is. But Superman II (The Richard Donner Cut) IS better than the original, just not nearly as much as it could have been. Unlike in the first film, Superman actually fights in Superman II, and boy is it awesome. And so is General Zod played by Terence Stamp, who totally outshines / destroys Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor in the first film. I wasn't a big fan of Lex Luthor in these films; he was too jokey for my taste, and I didn't like his henchmen either. He was a weak villain, who didn't seem threatening and who was more annoying than funny. Sadly though, The Donner Cut isn't without problems, most of which have to do with the editing and the post-production stuff in general. The sound effects and some of the (CGI) special effects really stick out like a sore thumb, and the ending was lame. I know it was originally intended for the sequel and NOT for the original, so it's not THAT big of problem when you keep that in mind. But I dunno, it's disappointing. Overall, I do prefer the sequel over the original: it's slightly more entertaining and interesting, the main villain is much better and the movie's more serious. Does the original have advantages in other areas though? Yes. It has that great origin story, it has more Marlon "Greedy Bastard" Brando, it flows better because it wasn't re-edited and its ending was way better (again, because it wasn't re-edited). But again, although I do like both, I prefer Superman II. "KNEEEEEL BEFORE ZOD...ZOD!"

on 6/5/2013

of a problem*

on 6/6/2013

superman was boring and all though I don't love 2 it's better then one.

on 7/22/2013

Superman

on 12/28/2013

Ha! you're kiding right what's even the big choice you could pick the sequel see what superman can rechose to the villains could fought that 1900's it's even you think it's more chosful

on 4/26/2015

Tough call. The whole first segment of Superman II is better than anything in I, but not THAT much better than the first part of I. The last part of II is a wreck, and so is the last part of I, but not as much. They're basically tied, but I'll give it to I for more Brando.

on 4/27/2015

original

on 4/27/2015

The first. But the second is very entertaining too.

on 12/25/2015

original supes wins here

on 8/8/2016

I'll go original but neither do much for me.

on 12/22/2016

Obviously the theatrical cut of Superman II is awful, a signal of what was to come. But I think the Richard Donner cut improves on the first movie by (a) having less of Luthor and his goons, (b) not having Margot Kidder perform spoken poetry in a voiceover, and (c) allowing Christopher Reeve to take his shirt off. Actually, the Donner cut also includes a very good performance from Reeves, too, probably his best in the role.

on 5/14/2018

Rest in peace and God Bless, Margot. You will be missed... :(

on 5/15/2018

R.I.P. Margot Kidder. The best on screen Lois