My Neighbor Totoro vs. Kiki's Delivery Service

0 comments

4 comments

studio ghibli the best animated studio in the world. I prefer kiki, but not by much

My two favorite animated films, both by my favorite director of animation... tough call. The character design in Totoro is stronger, and it has a pleasantness that can't be denied, but the story in Kiki is a little stronger, and I'd love to live in that city.

Kiki's Delivery Service is so much better in every way. It's a wonderful movie!

These are actually two very similar movies. Both of these movies don't have a big conflict at their heart; they instead just try to show a life (albeit a rather unusual life). Still, whereas My Neighbor Totoro's lack of major conflict was a touch boring and uninteresting, Kiki's Delivery Service did an incredible job into drawing you into the characters and world. Easy win for Kiki.

The ten million dollar question. The thing is, they're perfect movies for slightly different ages. Both bring me to tears, and Totoro wins for pure artistry, but Kiki really hits hard on a personal level.

the older sister I always have a very annoying character. And thank goodness it wasn't the same with Kiki. I really found one of the nicest characters in anime films, she's also from Studio Ghibli