Crows Zero II vs. Crows Zero

0 comments

0 comments

on 8/14/2011

CZ II is essentially the same movie as CZ. Really both movies are uncomplicated in structure: establish conflict (who's gonna be top dog), add mostly inconsequential side-story (minor character suffering from social failure), talk a lot (always maintain that bravado) and then have a few throw downs. the movies are childishly serious in the way that only anime adaptations can be. They're kinda cliche with the overt cool, alpha male stuff... but fuck it, they're still fun. Some real silly 'hey, look at me I'm cooler than you but don't look at me 'cause I'll fuck you up' type stuff. I mean CZ has it all; Reservoir Dogs get-ups; ridiculously cool hairstyles; lots of talking while turning your back or walking away; smoking; more smoking; looped guitar riffs. You know the guys even held every cigarette in between their index and middle fingers? Just to be extra Travolta I imagine. Silly as it all sounds, the most serious flaw was the action choreography, it's not stylized enough. I think this is either a concious choice that Miike makes (because he did the same thing in 13 Assassins) or just a a weakness he has as a director. Thing is, if he was going for the gritty approach, why add those silly Bollywood/Rocky moments? Well, whatever. I think the pay-off is slightly better in the sequel.