Vertigo vs. Rear Window

39 comments

26 comments

two of Hitchcocks best flicks. I choose Vertigo for sure. Its my favorite of his.

This is a tough call, two of my favorite Hitchcock movies. I went with Rear Window.

Classic matchup. Both are the best examples of Hitchcock's work but Vertigo is a far more layered and constructed film. Vertigo it is.

Think the opposite of jrod. Of the five Hitchcock films I have seen thus far, Rear Window is my favorite and Vertigo my least favorite. Vertigo is by no means a bad film, but it cannot begin to compare to Rear Window.

Tough matchup. Both films are among my favourite Hitchcock movies (The Birds rounds out the top 3), so it's really hard to choose one over the other. Vertigo is darker and more serious, while Rear Window is almost kind of a satire. I'll probably go with the more light-hearted one, though only for now. It's so darn close...

I like both, but i think the setup in Rear Window is more clever.

Rear Window, all the way. I find Vertigo overrated, whereas I feel that Rear Window deserves every piece of praise it gets. I don't think Vertigo's a bad movie at all. I just don't think it deserves the "Best Movie Ever" status that many heap on it.

Vertigo hands down. Every time i watch it (and i've watched it over 15 times) i find something new. Rear Window has the same appeal but as jmw222 puts it "it's far more layered and constructed".

Two of my favorites from Alfred Hitchcock. Vertigo has great suspense and a complex story, while Rear Window builds up great suspense by having a really simple story. I have to give Vertigo the nod, it made a slightly bigger impression on me, especially with the ending.

Vertigo without a doubt.

Brutal choice, but I went with Rear Window. I really love movies that can do a lot with a limited setting (Rear Window, 12 Angry Men, etc).

this is a very tough decision. both are excellent in their own right, but each one made me feel different. Rear Window was a fun and suspensful mystery thriller while Vertigo was a serious and dark mystery thriller. i guess it all boils down to which one was more interesting to watch, to which i say it's Vertigo

@rtth, you nailed it with that phrase mate! I too love those movies. I'll add Rope and Dial M For Murder to that list of yours. I like Rear Windo better, but I completely understand why someone would go for Vertigo.

Rear Window, its my favorite Hitchcock movie

Hitchcock's handle of romance always struck me as patently "Hollywood"; empty, shallow, schmaltzy, just plain bad. Rear Window it is.

Rear Window. Far and away my favorite Hitchcock...

Rear window is great but vertigo is one of the only movies that when it's finished i have to control myself not to replay back from the start as i have other things to do.

Rating #25,000. Rear Window. I had been given a play-by-play of what happened in Rear Window before I saw it and it was still one of the most suspenseful movies I've ever seen. Few times in my life have I been so enthralled by a film.

Definition of "A Tough One"

Whoa, definitely a tough matchup. I'm not even sure which one I have ranked higher. I guess I'm about to find out...

Rear Window. I thought that Vertigo was okay but I was only mildly entertained by it. Rear Window floored me.

This is really tough. I loved Vertigo and I thought it was really deep, well done and interesting. It's even in my top 20 of all time. But Rear Window is so suspenseful and awesome, I think I'm going to pick it.

Vertigo for me. I really liked Rear Window, but man does the movie take its time to set things up. I was bored the first 30 minutes or so while I was on the frickin' edge of my seat during the last 30 minutes. I was never bored during Vertigo; I thought it was intriguing and cleverly made.

Wow, my 2 favorite Hitchcock movies, but I'm gonna go with Rear window.

Vertigo really didn't work for me like Rear Window, Psycho, North by Northwest and Notorious...Sad, but Rear Window is amazing--- I love it

Rear Window is far better IMO....Vertigo is the only Hitchcock movie that didn't appeal

Rear Window, I feel, is Hitchcock's best

Rear Window is currently my favorite Hitchcock film.

although slow, vertigo was still good but, rear window is my favorite Hitchcock film.

Two films at the highest of peaks. "Vertigo" seems more personal to Hitchcock and that's just one of the many reasons I find it more fascinating. That Bernard Herrmann score. The dream. Stewart the hero as one sick puppy. Is he a pervert or a detective? David Lynch must love it.

Two films at the highest of peaks. "Vertigo" seems more personal to Hitchcock and that's just one of the many reasons I find it more fascinating. That Bernard Herrmann score. The dream. Stewart the hero as one sick puppy. Is he a pervert or a detective? David Lynch must love it.

Vertigo for me, and it isn't even close.

I'm choosing "Vertigo". It really feels like the definitive Hitchcock experience for me, and it's in my top ten favourite films of all time.

Yeah, Rear Window was great, but the ending left much to be desired in my opinion. The ending just wasn't powerful enough for me. Vertigo's ending is epic! And not just the ending, the entire film from start to finish is magnificent.

I slightly prefer Vertigo because I found the plot more engaging.

I'm sorry to say this, because I love both films, but Vertigo is the clear winner.

Both are incredible thrillers!... but Vertigo has a bit more than Rear Window in that it's such a well thought out plot, fraught with irony and suspense. Vertigo is quintessential Hitchcock, while Rear Window while still being awesome, has everything that a Hitchcock film ought to have, but falls short of Vertigo's greatness.

I thought Vertigo was better the first time I watched both... I don't know now.

I am convinced that Vertigo was not written by humans. Or at least by people who have no clue how human beings feel those feelings and act those actions. Also, why did they spoil the big twist halfway through by an irrelevant scene that could easily have been cut? That's like Tyler Durden saying "I'm all in some guy's head yo" to some guy in a bar half an hour into Fight Club.

Both are one one of Hitchcock's best. But I still think Rear Window slightly wins. Vertigo has a great plot twist and an fantastic storyline, but Rear Window is one of the most unqiue, interesting, and great films I have ever seen. Rear Window wins.

tough choice seeing im one of Hitchcocks biggest admires a huge fan of all those classic films of that era im going with Rear Window its more of the type of films I like (land of the strange in the sea of normality)i guess both films fit but Love Rear Window more.

Vertigo continues to get better and better every time I watch it.

Oh, I don't know ??

Need to rewatch both. Rear Window

This is a tough one, I'm going to have to give a very slight edge to Vertigo.

Vertigo works better on multiple rewatches.

A difficult decision to make but Rear Windows edges out Vertigo but not by much.

Vertigo is way more diverse and has deeper themes

Rewatched both and prefer Rear Window.

Both are amazing masterpieces, but in different ways. Amazing director, too tough to choose one.

A massive fan of both films. "Vertigo" is dark, fascinating, disturbing and a total cinematic experience that is almost unmatched. The twist, the story, the visuals and the themes are perfectly balanced and presented on screen. "Rear Window" on the other hand, is as basic as a film can get, yet so incredibly charming, compelling and relevant to society. I am almost unable to pick between these two masterpieces.

I was never crazy about Vertigo, so this is an easy choice for me, Rear Window.

Vertigo is much more explicitly symbolic; Rear Window moves questions like the inert military man to photographs in the back of an apartment and one off-hand comment, and the wandering sexuality of Jeff's mind only wanders into the room whenever Stella steps out or Lisa comes back in, with him even reprimanding the investigator for staring. Vertigo works on an operatic scale resulting in an epic scope, which might make it seem the grander, superior film. But I like the tight character work of something like Rear Window, which lets the grand themes exist external to the text of the film because films need time to make characters work as well as they do here. Vertigo's characters are fine, but ultimately a little unremarkable, because they mostly exist to feel intense emotion and move forward a plot. While Rear Window may operate on the minor scale more oriented toward character outlines than Capital C Characters, it lets them breathe deeply and fill slow events with intense drama.

Vertigo, not even close (just kidding, it's really close)

What a wonderful match-up. I'm going to have to go with Vertigo. I need to watch Rear Window again soon. Both films deal with touchy subjects and are brilliant.

What a wonderful match-up. I'm going to have to go with Vertigo. I need to watch Rear Window again soon. Both films deal with touchy subjects and are brilliant.

Rear Window for now. I must rewatch Vertigo though.

Vertigo was much more epic

Wait. I don't want to do this.

Another awesome Hitchcock matchup! Both are great films, but Rear Window just intrigued me a lot more. However, if I see Vertigo again, my opinion could possibly change about this.

Rear Window is awesome and typical Hitchcock, but it lacks the uniqueness and depth of Vertigo. Vertigo has a mind-blowing twist, creativity with the lighting, and revolutionary shots; it just has those extra details that push it above Rear Window. And Jimmy's Stewart's subtly disturbing character in Vertigo is way better developed than any character in Rear Window.

I've just seen Vertigo, and it did nothing for me. I enjoyed Rear Window immensely. This is not close.

3rd and 4th favourite Hitchcock films behind Shadow of a Doubt & Psycho but I think Rear Window edges this matchup slightly, anything with Grace Kelly has always got to get a few extra points from me ??

3rd and 4th favourite Hitchcock films behind Shadow of a Doubt & Psycho but I think Rear Window edges this matchup slightly, anything with Grace Kelly has always got to get a few extra points from me ??

Two Hitchcock and Stewart collaborations that are in my top 15! Rear Window is great. The dialogue is brilliant and the mystery keeps you on edge. But Vertigo is just on another level! The screenplay is one of the most well written ever, it has psychological layers you can spend weeks analysing and Hitchcock uses cinematography and colours better than almost every movie ever made! Edge goes to Vertigo, 29-28!

rear window is fantastic, but vertigo is absolutely hitchcock's masterpiece

This one is hard, and for the longest time Rear Window was my Hitch favorite. Over the last two or three years, though, Vertigo has waxed in my estimation. I think I have to go with Vertigo.

rear window easily

I would have to say Vertigo. It has a better story, it has more stakes, and it shocked me more than Rear Window did. Rear Window is close though.

ear
ear

Rear Window used to be my favorite but Vertigo just has a magical mystery appeal that grabs my attention like few films can.

2 of the best films I've ever seen. Going with Rear Window.

going with Vertigo- rear window's one of the best films I've seen, but vertigo has a better storyline

Rear window is the better film

Vertigo started out promising. I loved the first half of the movie but then it loses me. Rear Window was awesome though. I love that movie. Rear Window gets my vote.

Rear for me, Sorry majority. Vertigo is kind of a mess

easily rear window but vertigo had a good twist

got to go with vertigo, 2nd best Hitchcock film.

Both are some of the most influential movies of 50s with great directing from Hitchcock, but I though Vertigo took the mystery genre to more effective use and crafted the most suspenseful and disturbing mystery thriller of all time.

Both of them are great but Vertigo does it for me. The suspense in the second half is arguably the best in all of film. A true masterpiece.

Both of them are great but Vertigo does it for me. The suspense in the second half is arguably the best in all of film. A true masterpiece.