Seven Psychopaths vs. In Bruges

3 comments

13 comments

on 1/11/2013

Oh man. Oh. Man. I loved Seven Psychopaths. Loved it. It has one of the best screenplays, ever. It's insanely clever, it's hilarious and the characters are well written (except the women, but that was intentional). It's an amazing film. It doesn't quite have the emotional impact and intensity of In Bruges, but it's still a phenomenal film. It's well directed, well acted, and like I said: it has a brilliant screenplay. One of the most overlooked movies of 2012. It may very well be my favorite of that year.

on 2/22/2013

sonofa....

on 2/22/2013

In Bruges is definitely better. Ridiculously funny. Seven Psychopaths has some good stuff in it, but missed with a lot of things IMO. Rockwell's performance was awesome as usual though.

on 2/22/2013

Wow....loved 'em both. I'll go with Seven Psychopaths. Both just great though...

on 3/4/2013

I thought In Bruges was much better than Seven Psychopaths, which was funny, but wildly uneven.

on 3/5/2013

Seven Psychopaths wasn't as clever as it thought it was. In Bruges was hilarious. Easy choice.

on 4/4/2013

These two are literally two of the greatest films of the last decade. It is almost impossible to choose but I'll go with Seven Psychopaths, if only for the immaculate performances by Tom Waits and Christopher Walken.

on 9/7/2013

I seriously NEED a third film with McDonagh and Farrell so I can consider this a trilogy in the vein of Wright, Pegg, and Frost's Cornetto trilogy. Anyway... In Bruges wins but Seven Psychopaths is really amazing as well. Sam Rockwell will always be brilliant, especially when unhinged.

on 11/21/2013

Liked "In Bruges" very much while liking maybe the first half hour of "Seven Psychopaths" before thoroughly hating the rest of it and being teased when it interrupted the beginning of the credits because I thought it had mercifully ended--what empty drivel trying to pass itself of as clever.

on 11/21/2013

I dunno. The attempt at self-awareness in SP is really fuckin' on the nose. It's kinda feels like a comic explaining his jokes to the audience.

on 12/8/2013

Seven Psychopaths was great all round, but its only problem is that a couple of bits are a little over-indulgent. In Bruges on the over hand is black comedy perfection.

on 4/28/2014

seven psychopaths was fun but no in bruges

on 4/28/2014

I gave Seven Psychopaths another watch recently, but it wasn't as good as I remembered. It's still fun, but yeah, In Bruges is better.

on 4/28/2014

"I dunno. The attempt at self-awareness in SP is really fuckin' on the nose. It's kinda feels like a comic explaining his jokes to the audience." Kinda-sorta. But that's where some of the fun comes from, isn't it? I'd still say it's better than most of the shit that comes out nowadays. It's really, really fun stuff and I never turn down a chance to watch Walken in a decent flick; he didn't disappoint. "Fuck the cops! Fuck 'em!" In Bruges felt like a really talented writer/director unleashing the beast all over the screen. That movie goes straight-up gangsta with the wit and the violence and the laughs. It's a case of a damn fine movie going up against a fantastic one.

on 5/3/2014

I'll go with Seven Psychopaths for now. Just more enjoyable in my opinion.

on 11/14/2014

Seven Psychopaths is really good but In Bruges is a perfect movie as far as I'm concerned and wins this one fairly easily.