Knight and Day vs. Iron Man 2

1 comments

2 comments

And Tom Cruise turned down the part of Tony Stark once upon a time! Another good call by Tom and his scientological advisors. Funny to see Iron Man clean his clock in the same summer.

Yep, Scientology is fuckin cuckoo, but then, so are Christianity, Hinduism and damn near all other theisms. I don't think any of that matters to my movie-watching pleasures though. Here, my pleasures tell me that Knight and Day is leaps and bounds better than the prosaic, uninspired mundanities of the Iron Man sequel. At first I thought that the OTT nature of KaD was a stab it satire, but it's not sardonic enough (it's not sardonic at all). No, Knight and Day is just a movie focussed on silliness and fun. Diaz and Cruise have a wealth of charisma (so does RDJ of course) and they've done well here.

Diaz manages to almost ruin Knight and Day for me, a movie I found to be quite enjoyable. Different female lead, and that movie could have been gold. Iron Man 2 is too much Avengers setup and not enough being its own damn fun action movie. This is actually a tough call for me, and I think I'll just let my Flickchart sort itself out. Refresh. (Yes, I'm a damn cheater.)

True, Cameron Diaz isn't particularly appealing in Knight and Day and Tom Cruise, while still a charismatic lead, is trying to look 10 years younger than he is and failing miserably (in fact, Cruise and Diaz both look like wax figures of their former selves in this film). In the end, Knight and Day is just a forgettable misfire. While one could say the same thing about Iron Man 2, I say Robert Downey Jr., Mickey Rourke and Sam Rockwell carry the film enough with their talents to at least make the movie (mostly) enjoyable to watch. For that, Iron Man 2 wins.