No Country for Old Men vs. The Prestige

5 comments

3 comments

I have to give the edge to The Prestige in this matchup.

The Coens over Nolan in this contest.

The Prestige

Th prestige

No Country is good but The Prestige is on a different level for me

No County for Old Men not a contest at all!

They aren't even in the same atmosphere. No Country for Old Men stomps on the prestige and stands tall.

I didn't bother to read the novel No Country, I decided McCarthy was the most overrated, self-important hack after forcing myself to finish The Road and pledged to avoid the rest of his stuff like the plague. I love the Coens though, so gave the movie a shot. Javier Bardem was fantastic, the highlight of a strong cast. Ultimately though, I had no desire to watch No Country again after seeing it once. The Prestige though, I will watch again, and if you want to see a trick performed again even after you know how it was done, that means it was a damn good trick. The Coens and Nolan are among the best filmmakers we have; this is a case of upper echelon Nolan beating out the Coens while they slum it.

This is my #2 and #3. No Country followed by Prestige. Not by much though.

One of a very few films that can legitimately give No Country for Old Men a run for it's money. The Prestige currently requires a rewatch and further examination to really come to a conclusion. For right now, No Country wins.