Evil Dead II vs. Army of Darkness

12 comments

3 comments

Army of Darkness had a bit of a lull at the outset, and its closing (thirty or so) minutes left me feeling a little dissatisfied, but that butter zone in the middle where it is on its game allows Army of Darkness to lay claim to the title of my favorite film in the Evil Dead trilogy, followed closely by Dead by Dawn.

This is my BOOMSTICK!

Spent more time watching "Army" than "2" in youth, so the nostalgia factor gives it the edge for me. Otherwise, I'd just be sitting here, staring dumbfounded at these two little posters all day.

Army of Darkness is when the series went full retard. Evil Dead 2 was the first of the trilogy that I saw, and reigned as one my top favorite movies throughout my teen and young adult years. When I watched the original Evil Dead shortly after, I wasn't as dazzled by it initially as I was with Evil Dead 2. After a while, though, the original started to grow on me because it relied much less on slapstick humor and was much more effective as a horror movie. Army of Darkness pretty much abandoned all the shocks and horror and just went full-throttle jackass. Evil Dead 2 is goofy, but it still has plenty of eerie and twisted moments to pack a punch. Army of Darkness has no edge whatsoever and is pretty much a kid's movie when compared to the first two. The impact that The Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 had on me as a young movie watcher were enormous, but Army of Darkness barely even holds my interest.

Hardest movie-related decision I've ever had to come across. Umm...

OH GOD I CAN'T CHOSE!!

Evil Dead 2 is the perfect balance between horror and comedy in this trilogy. Evil Dead 1 was too serious and AoD is too funny and silly. Besides, ED2 showed us how Ash got that amazing chainsaw for an arm. Evil Dead 2 for the win.

both are better then the original. i think army of darkness is funnier, but evil dead 2 is better

Evil Dead 2 is hands down my favorite of the Evil Dead trilogy. It combined the perfect balance between horror and comedy and it was fun seeing the filmmakers have fun. Army of Darkness is on the opposite side of the spectrum being almost full comedy instead of horror, but it's still a great conclusion. Evil Dead 2.

I prefer the original to both of these, but in this matchup I prefer Army of Darkness.

Groovy

This is extremely tough for me....huge fan of both. Fate decides this pick....

Army of Darkness is great, but Evil Dead II is an almost perfect horror comedy.

I just rewatched the trilogy and I now like Evil Dead II the best followed closely by The Evil Dead and Army of Darkness is now a distant third. Army of Darkness has a brilliant first act and a very good third act, but it really loses me in the second act. As soon as Ash goes off to get the book Army of Darkness's downfall begins. It is still great up until he locks himself in the windmill then stupidity ensues. I strongly dislike when the miny Ash's show up followed by 'Bad Ash'. Then he arrives at the cemetery to retrieve the book. I dislike this part as well because they could have made creepy like the first and second films, but instead they choose to go with comedy. Like for instance the part when he gets sucked into the book and it stretches his face and then he violently shakes his head to make it go back to normal. That is just plain stupid. Then when he is trying to escape the cemetery and the army of the dead begins to rise, once again instead of going for scary/disturbing they chose funny. Skeletons reaching out of the ground and grabbing you would be pretty creepy, but instead they have the skeletons reaching in his mouth and nose to be funny, but its not. Luckily the third act is very good and saves the film from falling to shit. The battle against the army of the dead is done very well despite there still being a few instances of stupid humor. I prefer the S-Mart ending to the Post Apocalyptic one myself. The S-Mart ending is really good. Overall Army of Darkness is still good, but not on the same level of the first two films which are great.

Oh and the reason I don't really care for the post apocalyptic ending is because it pretty much makes all three films pointless. Instead being the hero that saved the world Ash is now the moron that screwed it over.

Both were funny, but Evil Dead II was creepy and scary and Army of Darkness was missing some that. AoD was still very good, but despite that Evil Dead is definitely superior.

Army of Darkness wins finally this match up

I take back what I said before

I need to re-watch Dead by Dawn, but it is definitely just average at the time of that comment. Give me Army of Darkness.

Both iconic, but Evil Dead II is perfect

Evil Dead II by far, it is the best Raimi movie and one of the best Horror movies ever made