Independence Day vs. Men in Black

5 comments

8 comments

These are the two big ones for Will Smith, as far as I'm concerned. Both are great fun sci-fi extravaganzas; ID4 is just *that* much more.

jrm
JRM

I used to love Independence Day, but after watching it again on DVD, I don't know why I did, lol. It's Men in Black for me.

Men in Black is the much better movie. I don't think there is any question about that.

Very close call in that I consider both to be agreeable but marginal mass-market entertainments. But I'll give Men in Black an edge in that less of it is as outright stupid as Independence Day.

Both not really to my liking. I'll give it to MiB though, because at least that movie attempts to make me laugh.

Men in Black has a better script, better laughs, and a great zany pace. ID4 was a breathtaking bit of destruction when it came out, but was about as stupid as blockbusters go and has aged poorly. What does that tell you?

I have to go with Independence Day, although both are pretty stupid. Sure, you could argue it's dumber than Men in Black, but Men in Black did nothing for me. Independence Day had the nostalgia factor; even watching it today, the scene with the approaching ships still give me some goosebumps. Great atmosphere. Once the aliens attack, the movie slowly goes off-hill. I dunno, I still like it though. Yes, it's stupid; yes, it's cheesy popcorn entertainment.

There wasn't enough going on in MIB for me to give it props here. ID paced itself well though it was kind of long. Not a big fan of the director, but it was a good film. ID for me. Besides MIB has been marred by at least one awful sequel.

ID beat Men In Black. Maybe because they took the MIB franchise and ran it in to the ground.

I was always a fan of MIB when these two movies came out. In fact, MIB was my favourite movie at the time. I could never get into ID, even though most of my friends loved it. Watching it again, years later, I found ID to be really ridiculous. Just another America saves the day crappy flick while MIB is still fun. MIB wins.

I prefer men in black. Will Smith can still make me laugh in that movie.

Bad Boys is better than both. MIB wins here.

ID Wins the day.

i honestly am still baffled at how people even enjoy independence day. men in black is 10x better than that shit movie