The Expendables vs. Tropic Thunder

1 comments

1 comments

Both of these movies were throwbacks in their own way. The Expendables - a throwback to a bigger-than-the-screen ensemble action movie with a who's who of the genre. Tropic Thunder - An ensemble comedy putting together an all-star cast of respected actors. Both delivered far more than they advertised or led me to expect. I put Tropic Thunder ahead because I feel like The Expendables was the kind of movie that seemed awesome watching it with some of my closest friends in the theater, which led to a lot of yelling, "OH!" at the screen every time someone took a knife to the face. I feel Tropic Thunder would hold up better on subsequent viewings with or without anyone else watching with me.

A lot of people like expendables, I get that, but I'm not one of them. I like camp and all, but the intentional camp in expendables felt forced, clumsy, and uninspired. When Arnold shouted "Let off some steam" in Commando, he put everything he had into it, he believed in the line, and it was fantastic. When Stallone and Stathom are talking about Buddah and Pest, it feels like they aren't even trying. Not only that, the Expendables can't even figure out what it is. Some of the time it's a campy tribute film, part of the time there's decent action scenes, and part of the time it wants to be sentimental. I was offended by the movie.

Didn't care for either, but Tropic Thunder was much better.