Men in Black vs. Seven Pounds

2 comments

0 comments

Seven Pounds is an odd and interesting movie that features a solid performance by Will Smith. It is a good film, but it is not particularly memorable. Men in Black by contrast is a stand-out. It's mainstream blockbuster material for sure, but Smith and Tommy Lee Jones as Agents J and K are perhaps the most iconic action-comedy duo of the nineties.

I completely agree about Men In Black it really stretched the imagination of viewers in the 90's and the things it did big and profound were done really well. There was even some drama in the beginning of whether Smith could become that person who can just leave behind everyone he knows and loves for the bigger picture and the fate of the world. I wish this had been played up a little more than just the beginning and the ending with Jones' character. I didn't agree about Seven Pounds. Although I think Men In Black is the better movie Seven Pounds was far from forgettable to me. A man with nothing else to live for find deserving people and makes the most selfish act imaginable in a completely unselfish way. He ends his own life to give seven people a chance at a better life. It's thought provoking, sad and almost magical. The confusion around it makes it even more substantial.