It Follows vs. The Babadook

3 comments

8 comments

The horror of 2014!!! Ultimately liked It Follows more, but both are great.

Babadook.

It Follows seems to be The Babadook of this year as both are fairly low budget Horror films that suddenly made tons of fans out of nowhere. It Follows has amazing cinematography and one of the best scores I've heard in a while, but I found The Babadook to be more unsettling. Slight edge to Mister Babadook.

Babadook is better, It follows was creepy but not that scary, the score was good tho

The Babadook is better paced, and has a far scarier monster and premise.

JRM
JRM

I enjoyed both very much, but I liked Babadook more.

The Babadook is a more visceral experience in deconstructing terror.

Two of the best Horror films of the decade and love the indi feel of both, both were scary and original I liked Babodook's acting better over its a better film but I still really love It follows it scared me it was creepy and its a fantastic horror movie in a time where they just don't make much good horror movies anymore!

It Follows wins based on the scare factor, easily.

The look and score of It Follows were fantastic, I liked the performances, and the concept had potential, but like, why lean into the horror "sex=death" trope with such self-awareness and then ... not have anything to say really? The Babadook had just as original a concept and it actually explored grief and mental illness in a really interesting way.

I thought The Babadook was far better.

The Babadook is one of the best horror films of the past decade, but It Follows to me is a 21st Century Classic. It Follows terrified me way more than The Babadook because it plays with the fear and inevitability of death, no matter how far we run from it, death will always catch up and find us. While The Babadook explored grief in an interesting way, It Follows' originality and execution are way more chilling to me.

The Babadook is one of the first horror movies in a while that actually scared the shit out of me, but I'm not sure I thought it was that great of a movie beyond that; It Follows had much better pacing imo