Take Me Home Tonight vs. Waiting...

0 comments

0 comments

30,000 Rankings and 2,500 movies on flickchart! Fuck me sideways. Hah, and two under-valued comedy films about young folks that feel lost in the world and worry that they've wasted their lives (and both with Anna Farris). Tell me, is that not the most apt match-up possible. I enjoyed both immensely and, though I accept that neither can ever be labelled 'revolutionary' or 'original', I am mildly perplexed at the general consensus regarding the films. Waiting has Ryan Reynolds, Justin Long, gross-out gags and a protagonist that I relate to on some level (not that I've ever worked in hospitality, food, retail or any of that other plebeian shit) so it automatically wins. That's not a slur against Take Me Home Tonight, not in the least. I found the homage to the 80's quite endearing, but maybe those that lived through those that live through that comically uncool decade felt that the nostalgia was being force-fed to them rather than washing over them. Maybe they were just too concious of the simulacra and the fauxness. Who knows? But man TMHT has it all. We're talking big-hair, hairspray, hair moose, Jheri curls, "shades", Kim Carnes, the Safety Dance, cocaine, rolled up blazer sleeves, solid colours... All that was missing was some Aqua Velva, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and a pair of Reebok pumps.

Wait, I must be thinking of the Boney M version. WTF?