Schindler's List vs. The Shining

1 comments

7 comments

schindler

The Shining

After Spielberg made Schindler's List, Kubrick had to abandon work on Aryan Papers, which was probably a good thing as it meant one less Oscar-bait Jew sob story to sit through. It also allowed Kubrick to make Eyes Wide Shut so I'm a happy man. In this match-up, however, The Shining hews Schindler's List with an axe, and legend has it that the redness that poured forth was used by Spielberg to make the monumentally stupid 'girl in the red dress' scene.

I respect the hard work that went into both these films. Nicholson's performance is so unreal that I feel this is a movie people will be talking about in 100 years from now. Kubrick and Nicholson together was special. It's not the perfect movie its just acting at its highest levels we have ever seen.

Schinder’s is a life changing experience but The Shining wins here! Kubrick has to be completely mental to make the movies that he did.

Both are technical marvels but only one of them have a manageable length.

I hate Schindler's List, but it's The Shining. Both are perfect, but The Shining's insane rewatchability gives it the edge.

The Shining had a much bigger impact on me...