The General vs. City Lights

3 comments

4 comments

Two amazing silent comedies. Also two of my favorite movies ever. They're both amazing, but I'll go with City Lights because of its beautiful ending.

I honestly didn't find City Lights funny. It was pretty good, but it gets crushed here. I loved The General.

My favorite Buster Keaton film by far with my favorite Charlie Chaplin film among many. Both are amazing and if you aren't sure about silent films, watch these films before making any judgment. Both are timeless and wonderful.

Chaplin > Keaton in most cases...and definitely here.

The Genreral is amazing in both spectacle and substance. I didn't like City Lights all that much. It was alright, but it lacked a certain conciseness The General excelled in. Keaton > Chaplin here.

City Lights

The General is my preference. It is much more adventurous and entertaining. in my opinion.

The General is beyond exquisite, but it can't touch the emotion of City Lights finale.

both are masterpieces, but i prefer keaton's mastery of the image to chaplin's mastery of pathos

The general, because it was hilarious at times. City lights had me falling asleep most of the movie and a lot of the slap stick that charlie uses has not aged well at all.