V for Vendetta vs. Watchmen

15 comments

10 comments

Battle of the Alan Moore adaptations, eh? Well, I enjoyed Watchmen a lot more, but I'm not sure I really gave V for Vendetta a fair shake. (I wound up watching it in a couple of installments....)

They were both pretty disappointing. V for Vendetta was less disappointing. I guess.

Jackie Earle Haley wins this for Watchmen.

V for Vendetta is more cohesive and sincere. I don't think Zack Snyder knows what his own movie is about. Vendetta has so much more integrity and a much better story -- and a more relevant one.

I must say, I found V for Vendetta rather average. Watchmen, however, is a faithful adaptation of a favorite of mine. That said, I think you know which film I have definite leanings towards. Watchmen.

Hm. Two of the better Alan Moore adaptations. V for Vendetta wins though.

I really like both of these movies. The comic books are even better!!!!! So out of the two of them I have to go with V for Vendetta. I just like the whole thing of the goverment controlling everything cause I feel that it could happen one day. Plus the knife fight at the end was really cool and all the explotions.

Watchmen Dammit!!!

I pick V because its strictly different from the book which makes it more original and concise.

I agree jarbucki --- I had high hopes for both.. neither left me feeling much.. but I wasn't a fan of either comic/graphic novel.. Watchmen is far and away better though...

v for vendetta is the better movie. It deals with more relevant issues. Watchmen was a big disappointment for me!?

I would love to pick V for vendetta, but Watchmen was REALLY good too. they are both great movies, I know that Watchmen is along the novel as much but it was still a good movie. but V should win, IF, I really had to choose.

As far as Alan Moore films go, V for Vendetta is the superior product.

V for Vendetta is a better story, and had betters performances.

I actually believe the things they switched from the comic to the movie made Watchmen better. The ending makes far more logical sense in the film, as opposed to the comic.

V for Vendetta wins in my book. IMO it had better characters and a strong climax which was missing from Watchmen.

I love Watchmen so much.

I liked both, but V for Vendetta I found oddly uninspiring. I felt like I should have cared more but didn't, that I was basically watching another version of the 1984 story which I have heard so many times. Admittedly, the film was more concise and had a clearer message, or messages to tell, but none of them struck a chord with me because I don't really have any revolutionary tendancies. Watchmen on the other hand was more muddled, but oddly enough I found it more interesting. I guess I got round to watching it earlier than I did V for Vendetta and therefore it surprised me more. On top of that, I felt like I was watching a story being told when watching Watchmen, whereas V for Vendetta felt more like a political message with the story tacked on. Both good stories for sure, but I guess I prefer the alternate historical setting of Watchmen to the wildly hypothetical future of V for Vendetta. Both are brilliantly realised visually (although Watchmen is obviously Zac Snyder where as V for Vendetta is slightly less obviously Wachowski Bros), and have great performances (Hugo Weaving and Jackie Earl Haley respectively), but Natalie Portman's accent really annoyed me for the first part of V for Vendetta. So overall, probably a closer pairing than their rankings on my chart would have anyone believe, but I'm going to go with Watchmen.

I saw both of these for some reason, though I've read the comic version of neither. They both feel like glorified two hour toy commercials. Watchmen to a worse degree; there's something totally soulless about it. I can tell there are characters onscreen doing stuff, but I don't even begin to feel it. I never even stepped one foot into the movie, I was just some annoyed hostage.

V for Vendetta is more "inspirational" - Watchman is just a bummer. It's not that Watchman is bad, it's just overly violent and ponderous and the heroes feel a little too amateurish, and the only really fascinating and memorable thing is the Blue Naked Man. However, Natalie Portman trumps Blue Naked Man, and Portman isn't even one of my favorite actresses. It would have been better if they cast an actual Brit, though. Keira Knightley. And no CGI!

V For Vendetta

Here's the thing: Watchmen was a better source material, V for Vendetta had the better film making, but I found Watchmen more entertaining. I wish Zack Snyder didn't direct Watchmen, he is a style over substance director, and Alan Moore is all substance. He was the perfect fit for 300, but not all comics are style and violence. I like Watchmen, Snyder stayed honest to the source so he couldn't screw it up, but I think he indulged in himself too much, with the correct director I think watchmen could be a top 20 film for me.

Watchmen ...

V for tighter pacing

I think Watchmen is the better movie, but V for Vendetta has far more replay value for me and is one I find a bit more enjoyable. Watchmen is a movie that is almost doomed to fail a wide audience, because it is so unrelatable, and on top of that, Snyder's jumbled mix and pace of scenes can make the movie exhausting. That said, I don't think the movie should be faulted for either of these things, and I appreciate it for them. Two extremely undervalued adaptations that stand relatively unrecognized in the background while garbage Marvel movies make millions of dollars. People wonder why companies like Marvel are making the same cookie cutter movie again and again, and its because adaptations like these that are true to the comics go unrecognized.

I think Watchmen is the better movie, but V for Vendetta has far more replay value for me and is one I find a bit more enjoyable. Watchmen is a movie that is almost doomed to fail a wide audience, because it is so unrelatable, and on top of that, Snyder's jumbled mix and pace of scenes can make the movie exhausting. That said, I don't think the movie should be faulted for either of these things, and I appreciate it for them. Two extremely undervalued adaptations that stand relatively unrecognized in the background while garbage Marvel movies make millions of dollars. People wonder why companies like Marvel are making the same cookie cutter movie again and again, and its because adaptations like these that are true to the comics go unrecognized.

V is victorious.

ear
ear

V for Vendetta has so much more to say with more powerful images and meaning.

Watchmen.

V for vendetta is much better, much better story and gritty take.

Still VfV

V for Vendetta, but are overrated but V offered more.

Can't say that I love either one of these....