Sunset Blvd. vs. Double Indemnity

2 comments

4 comments

Edward G. Robinson's character in Double Indemnity is one of my favorites, but this one goes to Sunset Boulevard.

This is probably the toughest choice I've had to make so far. Two well-acted, well-produced, well-written cynical noir romances from one of my favorite directors. But there are many great noirs. There's only one Sunset Blvd.

After seeing just these two I can officially call myself a Billy Wilder fan. I expected good things, but both kind of blew me away. The very slight edge goes to Double Indemnity, but both are examples of classics that deserve all the praise they get.

Two incredible classics from Wilder. DI has a better trio in McMurray, Robinson, and Stanwyck. But Swanson's performance is the best of any individual in either film. In fact, she puts Sunset on her back and carries it to victory here.

Sunset Blvd. Double Indemnity is great, but Sunset Blvd. is among the greatest of all time.

Near coin flip...but it's Double Indemnity...

Sunset Blvd. is weirder and as such I might perhaps be inclined to like it more. But Double Indemnity defined film noir and it can't be beat.

Battle of the Wilder Films...Double Indemnity is just slightly closer to my heart. It wins.

Tied 18-18, Sunset Blvd. 1-2 Haven’t Seens