Roman Holiday vs. It Happened One Night

1 comments

4 comments

That's darn near impossible. Good match-up

A good matchup, indeed. Audrey Hepburn is incredible in Roman Holiday, but Gregory Peck's performance in the film is barely adequate (miscast?). Meanwhile, It Happened One Night has two great lead performances, a sharp screenplay and the great Frank Capra directing. It may be the best romantic comedy ever made.

There are definitely some similarities here ... runaway heiress/princess meets reporter, and they have one heck of a time before having to face real life. But It Happened One Night is a lot more fun and manages to pull a happy ending out of there, too. It wins. (A bit of trivia: Capra actually owned the Roman Holiday script and didn't develop it, instead selling it to William Wyler. Goodness knows why. I believe he meant to cast Cary Grant and Elizabeth Taylor as the leads.)

Both follow the same basic story and I happened to love both. Hepburn beats Colbert, but I think Gable delivers a better performance than Peck, though both did a great job. Overall I enjoyed It Happened One Night a bit more, but both are great films for sure.

"It Happened One Night" is perfect in every way BUT the ending, while "Roman Holiday" is great all around with THE perfect ending.

Roman Holiday... By a mile