Chinatown vs. GoodFellas

9 comments

11 comments

Are you kidding, how can I choose???

By choosing Chinatown.

Goodfellas by a nose

Gosh this is tough.Both are in my top 20.I think I'll go with Chinatown.

Goodfellas is better than Chinatown.

Chinatown was good, but a little lackluster in my eyes despite its hype. GoodFellas exceeded my expectations - even for a ganster movie. Easy choice.

All the way with Zampa on this one. Chinatown was good, but didn't blow my mind. Goodfellas sticks with me all these years later...

Chinatown for sure. I like GoodFellas a lot, but Chinatown both encapsulates everything about film noir from a '70s perspective, and then goes forward from that, basically creating the template for neo-noir. Anything that stands that perfectly at the center of one of my favorite genres has to get my vote. Plus, it's a damn fine good time at the movies.

Gotta pick the '70s classic. Nicholson's best performance in my eyes.

I suppose I can see how somebody else might love Chinatown but, to me, it was merely okay. GoodFellas obliterates it.

Chinatown is the better film. GoodFellas is terrific, but Chinatown is in a whole other league that gives it the easy victory. Chinatown wins!

Goodfellas wins even though Jack Nicholson did a great job in chinatown

Chinatown by the slightest of margins

Love when I stumble up on a great matchup that somehow has eluded me. I'm more of a Chinatown guy.

Put me down for Chinatown.

Goodfellas for sure!

The characters in GoodFellas were annoying, especially Tommy and Henry. Just a couple of assholes who deserved what they got. The narration was also pretty annoying. I like GoodFellas but I got to give it to Chinatown which packed a bigger punch imo.

Two masterpieces! You're more likely to find someone who prefers Goodfellas but I LOVE Chinatown even more. Better acting, better directing and love the noir feel and mystery to it.

GoodFellas was nice, but it feels really bloated and zero likeable characters. All of these characters are just too clownish or flawed to be likeable. Chinatown was an mystery-driven masterpiece with an incredible turn from Jack Nicholson. I'd take its no non-sensical plot over the bloated shit out of GoodFellas all day long.

Both are among the best movies ever made but Goodfellas is perfection. Martin Scorsese at the peak of his powers. Nothing beats it.