Avengers: Infinity War vs. Star Wars: The Last Jedi

11 comments

1 comments

***MINOR SPOILERS*** Nobody’s commented on this one yet? Already I’ve seen loads of think pieces comparing both of these as examples of how and how not to set up the finale to their respective franchises (though it goes without saying that neither is going to end with Episode IX or whatever they end up calling Infinity War Part 2). For all its faults, I did enjoy The Last Jedi; it was a gorgeous looking film with some interesting ideas of deconstruction that kept me interested throughout and got me thinking about it after the viewing in a positive way. As a swan song for Carrie Fisher I thought it was a wonderful way tribute to her and the scene with her and Mark Hamill was an absolute tear-jerker for me. I understand why people hate it, and while part of me finds it quite sad that it’s become so fashionable to hate on it, a lot of the resultant memes are very entertaining. That being said, taking away the meta-text, it definitely lacks coherency (not totally, but definitely significantly). Infinity War was equally entertaining and infinitely (ha ha) more coherent, and it gave suitable payoff to almost all the main players and supporting characters. And it finally gave us a formidable, memorable villain without any caveats that others have come with in this franchise for the first time since Loki (as much as I enjoy Ego, Vulture and Winter Soldier in his first appearance, none of them match up to Thanos). In fact, Josh Brolin’s efforts effectively rendered Thanos more compelling than the heroes, though the rest cast was all round excellent, with particular praises for Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Holland. I’d say the biggest problem with Infinity War is that it’s a victim of its own hype; the film was definitely as good as I had hoped, but I felt that the MCU’s highly efficient business model slightly undercut it. As good as the ending was, a cursory glance on the internet at actor contracts and future projects lined up reveals that this is not as set in stone as the filmmakers clearly wanted it to feel like, meaning that it loses a lot of its impact. Again, this isn’t really the fault of the film, and the execution by all involved made up for a lot, but I’m not going to pretend that it didn’t distract me. I guess we’re all just a lot more wizened up to how things are run in shared cinematic universes ever since the first Avengers film changed the game in 2012. Anyway, with the benefit of hindsight, I personally enjoyed both, but I feel more willing to go back and give Infinity War another viewing. The Last Jedi was, again, a solid, entertaining film which took interesting creative risks, but a lack of plot and structural coherency at the expense of these ideas, plus a mounting sense of apathy towards the new generation of Star Wars films mean that I have much less desire to go back and watch it again. Marvel wins.

Infinity War kicks The Last Jedi’s ass

Yes, Infinity War kicks The Last Jedi’s ass and then waits a minute and kicks it AGAIN.

I want to make a comment but I think smatticus said everything that needed to be said (although, I am one of those who hated Last Jedi)

Infinity War FTW.

Last Jedi is so much better. SPOILERS: Thanos backstory was weak. His sacrifice was lame and unbelievable. If he truly loved her, he wouldn't have sacrificed her. For them not to go into any more detail to prove he loved her was pathetic and lazy writing. And for them to kill Black Panther is horrid. He wasn't even in the comic book so adding him meant they could tell his story any way they wanted. By choosing to give him an almost nothing role and then have him fade away without any fanfare is pathetic and a slap in the face to an entire community that just finally had been given a character on the big screen to be proud of in the cinematic universe.

Infinity War is spectacular for me besides over self in the last jedi.

Avengers: Infinity War is vastly superior. Last Jedi is such a disrespect to intelligent fans everywhere. What they did to Luke is criminal. It would be like Tony Stark saying screw you to everyone in Infinity War (even Pepper) and hiding out in Monaco drinking milk and being bitter.

Thinking back on Infinity War there are so many amazing scenes which I can't forget. Thinking back on Last Jedi there are so many awful scenes which I want to forget, but can't because they're so cringey and stupid.

Marvel topples Star Wars.....

@Saltzman_Sees *****************************************SPOILER WARNING***************************************************I wouldn't worry too much about Black Panther getting "killed off". As I alluded to in my original comment, the way this franchise is marketed and produced, it's pretty obvious that many, if not all, of the characters who were "killed" at the end of Infinity War aren't going to stay dead. Tom Holland's already confirmed for Spider-Man: Far from Home, taking place "immediately after the events of Untitled Avengers film", while Sebastian Stan, Chadwick Boseman, Pom Klementieff and Dave Bautista are already confirmed for the sequel to Infinity War, despite the ending. Exactly what form this will take is debatable, but its highly unlikely that everyone who died is permanently out of the picture given the nature of the genre and the appeal of certain characters. Black Panther just made a lot of money for Disney and gave prominence to a character and side of the MCU that was well received by millions of people. Disney and Marvel aren't stupid, they're not going to throw this asset away lightly, especially with most of the OG Avengers cast coming to the end of their contracts. While a sequel hasn't been confirmed, at the moment it's pretty unclear what form the MCU is going to take post-Thanos, aside from Spider-Man: Far from Home and GotG 3 already in production, but given the success I'd be shocked if they don't green light a Black Panther sequel, assuming my theory is correct. Of course, I could be entirely wrong, in which case I stand corrected; we'll find out over the course of the next few years. But as I said before, this franchise marketing/publicity strategy in the age of the internet in some ways harms the dramatic payoff of a film intended to have serious consequences for a fictional universe. Plus, depending on how it plays out in the next film, it could either be received as a subversion of expectations for a cinematic universe or lazy writing to retcon characters' fates.

ear
ear

I enjoyed The Last Jedi over Infinity War.

Oh yes Marvel does indeed topple Star Wars.....

The Last Jedi was a steaming pile of garbage. Avengers: Infinity War was a great film. Such a mismatch

Yikes I hate them both, but it has to be Marvel this time, not like I'm glad about it.