How to Train Your Dragon vs. Up

4 comments

5 comments

Dreamworks, your animated movies are starting to actually be good. But you still pale in comparison to Pixar's greatness.

Dreamworks best effort,really good movie...but can't beat "UP". At all.

In all honesty, I prefered HTTYD. It knew how to balance it's drama, comedy and action very well. Dreamworks had finally made something that is a masterpiece of their own. Up was good too, but it is not one of Pixar's best. I have to give this to Dreamworks.

While the visuals in HTTYD are great, I felt the story and dialogue were pretty rote. It can't compare to Up.

Two awesome movies! But the grumpy old man takes the win!

I'm with djJakedj on this. Pixar in general beats Dreamworks in general, no doubt, but I don't love Up the way some do. The montage at the beginning is fantastic, no doubt, but much of what follows is -- to steal Boonmee's term -- pretty rote. The talking dogs took the whimsy a bit too far, and I could see the villain reveal coming a mile away. From a visual perspective, How to Train Your Dragon may be the most beautiful animated film it has ever been my pleasure to see in a movie theater, and it was able to surprise while creating a believable, well-rounded world. Plus, the ending is almost as lovely and bittersweet as Up's opening. So yes, it's not going to happen often, but Dreamworks wins this round.

These are both phenomenal achievements in animation. "Up" suffers in the third act from action overload, as some Pixar films tend to do, but I agree with Boonmee that the writing in "Up" is better. This is a very tough call for me.

It's close, but Up wins.

Dreamworks wins here

Up passes the eye test more easily, but Dragon's plot is better. Both are top notch animations though.