Rush vs. Gladiator

1 comments

1 comments

Two extremely well made films but I think that I have two go with Rush but seeing as I just saw it today I guess realistically I have to wait a couple days to let it sink in. The two leads Hemsworth and Bruhl give fantastic performances, the direction some of the best all year. I loved how I was cheering for both characters by the end of the film.

Unless Gravity can live up to the monumental amount of hype which has been placed on it (and I must admit that I am slightly prejudice against it because of the two lead actors), Rush will most likely be the best film of the year for me. Ron Howard is back in top gear (no pun intended) with an absolutely masterclass in BoaTS films, with fantastic lead performances from Hemsworth and Stahl, highly endeavouring cinematography, a pumping score by Hans Zimmer, a compelling (although at times ever so slightly clunky) script from Peter Morgan and some of the most gripping, terrifying editing in the race sequences that I have seen for a very long time (probably since District 9). If nothing else, Rush deserves oscar nods in the editing department. However, it takes a very special kind of film to stand up to Gladiator, which despite plenty of professional opinions to the contrary, is still a standout film of the noughties which matches and often exceeds Rush in most of these categories (apart from maybe editing and the fact that I don't find Russell Crowe as compelling as some of the supporting cast). Truth be told, these are very different films and I love each of them for different reasons. Maybe Rush will work its way up my flickchart with repeat viewings, but Gladiator has the advantage of standing tall as one of my favourites after multiple (and I mean MULTIPLE) viewings, so Gladiator wins. Both are excellent in their own right however.