Hugo vs. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

3 comments

1 comments

There are some interesting similarities between these two films from 2011, now that I think about it. The central young male figures of both movies are trying to cling on to memories of their deceased fathers, and keys figure prominently in their searches. Plus, both of them have difficulty integrating into society, for varying reasons.

Both are very similar and both should of not been nominated for best picture. Both are good movies, but not best picture material.

I thought Hugo was definitely Best Picture material; Extremely Loud, not so much. But yes, the fact that ten films are now put in the running for the award usually means that more movies are nominated than actually deserve it. Not sure why the Academy instituted that change.

I've been arguing since early 2012 that these are basically the same movie. In both films, a boy loses his father suddenly and tragically, and they both believe that their fathers left them messages that they try to find that rely on a key. In both cases, however, once those keys and locks are brought together, they find out that what they're trying to find is really about someone else rather than a message from their fathers to them. It's eerily similar. Hugo does it better though.