Mad Max: Fury Road vs. Pixels

6 comments

1 comments

Probably alone on this, but I'm going with Pixels here. Fury Road was a fun ride, but there isn't really a whole lot of substance when you stand back and look at it.

Mad Max: Fury Road is one of if not the greatest action film I've ever seen. I think a lot of people can agree with me on that. Pixels was trash

Lots of substance in Pixels though.

Well, yeah. What do you think Pac-Man's eating?

This seems like unfair matchup on flickchart.

How are we defining substance? Dialogue? Okay, yeah, obviously Pixels wins, at least in terms of quantity. Plot points? Ditto. Characterization, thematic depth? Sorry, but MM:FR wins by a landslide, and I'm frankly concerned that anyone would dismiss a movie about enslaved women liberating themselves and consider another in which one of the heroes receives a literal trophy wife as a reward more substantive.

But those enslaved women would've never had the chance to liberate themselves had Adam Sandler and the other nerds not totally saved the world from the aliens. So, let's just say BOTH these movies are incredibly profound and life-affirming. That said, Mad Max: Fury Road wins because it had more cool explosions and chrome stuff in it.

You know what? I had a lot of fun with Pixels. Big, genuine surprise, and I had put off watching it due to bad word of mouth. That said, Fury Road is obviously better.