10 Cloverfield Lane vs. Room

2 comments

4 comments

Hey, hey, hey... it's your 2 males and 1 female in a very small space... double feature ! 10 Cloverfield Lane has a fantastic final 10 minutes, but pacing issues in the middle keep it reaching its full potential. Room.

I'd have to give this one to Room. Much as I love John Goodman in 10 Cloverfield Lane, Larsen/Tremblay in Room truly blew me away.

10 Cloverfield Lane focuses on two uncertainties: truth and what caused a nuclear wasteland above our characters. The performances are great, the tension is very high and I really loved the sci-fi element which definitely caters to me most times over a drama.

A fun but basic thriller vs. a fascinating story of survival and family bonds. The choice is obvious.

These double features also both have leads who were the leads in Short Term 12, which was itself about a sort of quasi-captivity. In small rooms even.

Oddly similar movies, but totally different in major ways. Room is obviously much more emotionally engaging -- but I think Cloverfield Lane does what it sets out to do so perfectly.