12 Angry Men vs. Witness for the Prosecution

10 comments

1 comments

A fierce battle between two excellent court movies. As awesome as Witness for the Prosecution is, it doesn't stand a chance against 12 Angry Men, though. Sidney Lumet made one of the greatest films of all time in 1957.

Have to go with 12 Angry Men.

Come on now, Witness for the Prosecution is a ludicrous film with moments of agonisingly deplorable acting. Don't get me wrong, the silliness adds to the fun, but lets not get carried away with the adulation. 12 Angry Men it is, though I did prefer the dialogue in Witness for the Prosecution.

Eh, I don't think Witness for the Prosecution is much more ludicrous than 12 Angry Men, to be honest. I agree about the acting in the film, however (although I give Charles Laughton's hamminess a pass). 12 Angry Men is indeed the much better film, if only because Billy Wilder's movie feels so run-of-the-mill by comparison.

Holy shit the ending of Witness for the Prosecution was crazy! Crazy in a good way that is. Both are fantastic Courtroom Dramas, but I've also gotta go with 12 Angry Men which may very well be the king of the genre.

My opinion could change anytime. Both top 25 films for me that I've only seen once but feel more than comfortable with the two being in the position they are. Entirely riveting dialogue, fantastic performances and excellent direction in both. Though "12 Angry Men" is surely the better film, I'll side with "Witness for the Prosecution" due to Charles Laughton's awesomeness.

12 Angry Men gets the win.

#21 vs #22 for me. 1957 saw perhaps the two greatest courtroom dramas. I'm gonna side with "Witness for the Prosecution" for its array of twists at the end, one of the most breathtaking endings to any film ever!

This is really tough for me. Witness for the Prosecution actually has a more intriguing story, but somehow 12 Angry Men feels like a more quality film, slightly anyway. I'd say the acting is equal as both are superb in that regard. Witness is currently a fringe top 20 on my chart while 12 Angry Men is in my top 10. I'm really considering moving Witness up some more simply because I think I may have enjoyed it even more than some of the goodies that I have ahead of it on my chart. For now, 12 Angry Men wins but stay tuned...

12 Angry Men by a mile. So much more drama and the way that film flows while basically one scene is way ahead of its time. I like the twist ending in Witness for the Prosecution, but it isn't better than 12.

12 Angry Men....and by quite a margin.

12 Angry Men. It features a murders row of the greatest character actors of all time, led by the always brilliant Lee J. Cobb. The levels of conflict in this movie are breathtaking, Ed Begley's racism, Cobb's strained relationship with his son, Klugman's pride of his upbringing while he fights to escape it, Warden being forced to take an introspective look at his character for the first time..all while a kid is awaiting an almost certain death sentence..a perfect movie.

12 Angry Men. It features a murders row of the greatest character actors of all time, led by the always brilliant Lee J. Cobb. The levels of conflict in this movie are breathtaking, Ed Begley's racism, Cobb's strained relationship with his son, Klugman's pride of his upbringing while he fights to escape it, Warden being forced to take an introspective look at his character for the first time..all while a kid is awaiting an almost certain death sentence..a perfect movie.

12 Angry Men Easily

No contest. Not many films can compete with 12 Angry Men. In 96 minutes, there are no dead spots or instances of bad acting in 12 Angry Men. Charles Laughton's brilliant performance is the entirety of Witness for the Prosecution. Every minute he's not on the screen the movie is borderline terrible. Not one wasted second in 12 Angry Men.